Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
with that last line I would swear (well not actually swear like a sailor ya' know?) that baby beek may have the inclination of a philosopher.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well thank y'all for posting! I just like to hear other folks stories, be they happy, painful or other wise. So long as they aren't too sad.
I'm just glad to know I'm not the only accident prone person I know!
However I am NOT a philosopher. I would probably drive myself crazy if all I did was sit around and think!!

Sorry to hear that the bug caught y'all too,G3. It's somethin' awful round here. Our pastor has had it twice now and everyone we know has had it at least once!

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
evidently from your statement you are feelin' better.

actually the philosophers I know (folks that teach the subject of philosophy at the university just up the road) don't just think all the time. they are likely the best read folks that I know and have honed the rules of logic like a sharp knife. they typically make exceptional computer programmers and are always good sources when you wish to find out how or where certain ideas developed.

strangely enough at the university level they are also the worst paid folks on the university staff.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh, well that's neat, minus the poor pay part.
I guess I always thought of a philosopher kind of like the thinker. Or... I think that's his name... the guy in sculpture that sits on top of the earth, him. I really should avoid those generalizations, it's a hard habit to break.
Personally I don't know any philosophers.
Although the rules of 'rules of logic' sound like an interesting topic. I didn't know anyone took the time to write them all up. :oops:
Reckon I should look into that one! Thank you for pointing it out.
I do love to read, and am ashamed of how little I've been reading here lately. Although I never had much of a taste for books that weren't historical-fiction until last year.
I guess that learning how much you don't know is just part of growing up. :D

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I am glad to hear that you like to read books. I had though that reading might have become old fashioned. I do/have read quite a bit of stuff mostly dealing with economics, finance and history. I have also read a bunch of stuff associated with bees.

sometimes topics like logic can aid a person in comprehending what other folks have written. which is to suggest directly that reading as a skill is one thing and comprehending what you read is another thing all together.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your right, and I'm still working on my comprehension.
I love to read things about bees, but haven't gotten a chance to read much, other than the how to book we got when we started taking classes and every ABJ I could get my hands on! Momma is a big bookworm and runs off with whatever book we have on hand and I usually just start reading something else then. :roll:

It's sad how many important and useful skills have become old fashioned. :( Logic, for one, beekeeping, & reading the list is shamefully long. That's one reason I like to talk to more experience folks like you and the people on this board. There's soo much to be learned and first hand experience or sometimes second is the best way to learn it. Words on paper are great but have their limits.
My favorite book is the bible, other than that I enjoy various sorts of how to books, missionary auto biographies, gardening and beekeeping books.

Thanks again everybody for the great stories!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When I was seven I got cut on my upper right wrist by some broken glass I found. My dad put ice on the cut then put 4 sticthes in.
When I was 13 I went a swimming when I wasn't supposed to and slipped on a wet dock and a spike caught my right shin. I tried to hide it but by the 3d day I could hardly walk due to infection, 12 stiches closed it up after the cleaning.
when I was 14 I slid down a pole inside the end of the barn. I ripped my groin area right side open but not my pants on a spike. That one took another 15 stickes. At 18 in Veit Nam I required 9 stiches in a right finger to close a wound.
At 30 I used my Jeep with out a seat belts on to push over a 10 inch dia. 40 foot tall popoole tree. I went thru the windsheild and required 14 stiches in my forhead and 9 in my lower jaw.
And just a couple of years ago My right knee requred a night and part of a day in the hospital, plus a cargo net to close the gapping hole from a run away chain saw and a stupid operator.

:D Al

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mom took my stitches out Christmas night. Now the cut has healed and the scar is forming.Unfortunately that means I am able to dishes again. Fortunately that means I can play with my rabbits and chickens again!

So, thanks again y'all for the great stories and I'm glad that you all survived and healed up well! :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think she took getting the stitches put in better than she took me taking them out! I'm soooo very happy that she can do dishes again ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Because I could feel them coming out. I could not feel them going in. All I did was flinch a little anyway.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts