Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I bought an observation hive off craigslist and quite honestly did not realize how much of a pain it would be to take off the plexiglass to access the frames.

Now previously when I bought a package or hived a swarm I simply removed the cover and a few frames and unceremoniously dumped them in. I am thinking that may not be the best approach. Is there a tried and true way short of isolating the queen in a swarm and installing her first?

Really I am thinking establishing a nuc and then moving frames of bees and brood as one might be less traumatic to me.

So experts how do you recommend that installation?

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Charla writes:
Really I am thinking establishing a nuc and then moving frames of bees and brood as one might be less traumatic to me.

tecumseh:
I must first say my experience with observation hives is quite limited but your snipped comments would likely be my own preferred option.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would agree, a nuc and then into the observation hive, can't imagine how else to get 'em in there.
If we finally find a place I hope to install bees in mine as well, 2 years new and never any bees in it. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a years experience with my OB hive so I definately don't know everything. What I did was remove a queen that was about to swarm along with 3 fully drawn frames with brood and one with pollen and honey from a deep. I let them settle in a nuc at my house for a week. At that point I moved the nuc to where my OB hive is located (3 miles away) and installed them. I installed them on Saturday morning knowing no one would be there until Monday morning so any confusion would be gone by then. It was pretty seamless.

I've got a 5-deep OB hive. It's larger than normal but being that small (versus a 20 deep frame hive) you'd better keep your eyes on it. It can quickly get congested and could be prone to swarming. As soon as I start seeing few open cells and a lot of capped cells I'll steal a frame or two of capped brood and attendents and give the hive back empty drawn frames. My swarm queen was superceded in late fall and I ended up having to requeen with a brand new queen that I had raised. I'm a little nervous she'll be prone to swarming because she's starting to lay like a mad dog.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am actually ok with swarming in mine. Its eight mediums. I have no problem catching them outside or letting them attempt to become feral. (I live in the middle of nowhere no neighbors closer than 1/2 mile).

But it sounds like transfering bees and brood is the way to go. I was really trying to get my mind around shaking a swarm into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts