Store frames outside or inside?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Nov 8, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Have just reduced a number of hives from 3 deep to 2 deeps and have several boxes of frames with comb, some empty and many chock full of pollen and maybe a few with honey in the top corners.
    Would I be better off just storing them outside in a beetight manner (screened and ventilated) or should I bring them into my heated basement. If the basement, should I leave them open to ventilate or close them tight?
    I am trying to stop the frames with pollen from moulding as they would give a good boost in the spring.
    These were from a deadout this spring.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

(See, ya can be in yer 50's and grey and still have questions :lol: )

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

If you take them inside you need to protect them from humidity, rodents and wax moths. Outside in fresh air and sunshine protect them from rodents.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I will add to Americanbeekeepers list of things to consider outside is you also will need to protect these frames from movement or being jostled around during the colder months since the wax and i suspect the plastic will get very fragile and can shatter much like glass.

Can't say I do much storing of such stuff here except in a freezer... but in North Dakota we would have stored such stuff in an unheated but closed up out building.

I take it the white spots are mold?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Tec:

Yes, the white stuff is mold. I dropped these frames in strong hives this summer and they cleaned up so I couldn't tell which ones they were. Still, I would like to prevent them from getting this way in the first place. If I had a huge freezer I would use it but I have too many boxes to do that. I store all my extracted honey supers in the heated basement with a sheet of newspaper between each box, but they are dry, no honey or pollen in the frames.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Perry:

You live in Nova Scotia, you do have a huge freezer; It's called outside :rolling:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rotfl:
    Nice Gunny, reminds me of that "tundra" thing Iddee layed on me a while back!

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sorry Perry, Couldn't resist :drinks:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

As far north as you live I would say outside in the dry. Protect from rodents, not sure but would think wax moths are gone by now in you area.

9. Dbure

Dbure New Member

I know placing frames in a freezer kills SHB and wax moth larvae, but is it also a good method of long term storage for capped honey which can't be extracted imediately?

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yes

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

you have SHB in nova sco........up there (i need a 3rd grade kid to teach me how to spell :/ ) anyways....really...i thought SHB was a warm weather thing....figured we had SHB an you had like psyco polar bear problems or something :|

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No SHB in Nova Scotia (yet).
    Queens that arrived this spring from Hawaii had SHB larvae on the cages and were quarantined. I believe there may be a small presence in Quebec and Ontario but again, those areas have been quarantined. Not sure about Alberta.
    This (and tracheal mites) are somethings we have been fortunate to not have graced us with their presence.

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

could they even live there....i mean they kinda chill out down here in the winter an i dont do any more than put the frames in the fridge to kill the beatles....i dont know much about your weather up there but ummm....brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...it was 85 here today in florida....doesnt your grass grow on ice...lol...seriously tho...isnt it too cold to support the SHB life cycle...if they went into the ground they would surely freeze an die right ???

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It was -7 C this morning and -20 for a few weeks in Jan. Feb . and sometimes March is not uncommon. Not sure if Beetles would adapt or not?

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....little furry SHB....what suprises me is how the bees live there....they must act alot diffrent than they do here...when it gets in the 60's during the day i swear i see a little bee leg stick out the entrance to test the water before a bunch of other bees shove it out the door...lol...seriously tho its easy to tell they dont like the colder days...takes em a good while ta get wound up in the morning...if it dropped down to -7 they would stick a white flag out the door an surrender

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They may think it's too cold to go outside when it DROPS to 50, but they will be flying by the hundreds when it RISES to 50.