stored brood box pest

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by rast, Apr 7, 2012.

1. rast

rast New Member

Is this the result of SHB or wax moth. Sprayed with BT, moths yes, but no live larva or cocoons. No live SHB's that could be seen. Looked like some dead ones in picture. Stored inside. This was on concrete floor under the hive.

[​IMG]

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like wax moth cocoons, but doubtful since they are stuck fast to the wood parts of the hive and have to be scrapped out.

Is that a couple of SHB in the pic, hard to tell kind of blurry?
    It could be SHB cocoons, the will crawl out of the front of the hive and pupate in the soil and since your hive body was sitting on the floor they could not get out.

Hard to tell with no reference to size either.

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Looks like ant eggs or termite eggs and debri to me. I haven't had to deal with shb or wax moth larvae yet so I couldn't say for certain on those.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Re read your post, not wax moth since you sprayed with BT it would have killed the larva and they never would have gotten to the cocoon stage.

I vote SHB.

5. rast

rast New Member

They are appx 3/16 long and hollow. I know too well what wax moth cocoons look like.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

can you get a better pic of the brown casing, or just look at it yourself with a magnifying glass. Most times it will be the same shape of what ever molted and came out of it.

Could even be some type of an earwig.

7. rast

rast New Member

2kooldad just found some extremely tiny worms in it. (Young eyes) Found one large enough to ID. Waxworm.

8. rast

rast New Member

Now I don't know what I did wrong. I've lost at least 15 boxes of brood comb. I am not stingy with the BT when I spray them and all these were sprayed, dried and then froze for 48 hrs last year. There are no cocoons on the frames or boxes, just crumbling comb with a few worm tracks in some of the comb. All the very small live worms were in the debris under the stacks. Don't want to repeat whatever I did wrong. There was no "honey comb" super damage.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

BT or no BT, the cocoons look like those of the lesser wax moth, Achroia grisella, and a real serious infestation at that.
    Look up for information on it on the web, you can get descriptions and pictures.

10. rast

rast New Member

You are correct efmesch, lesser wax moth. I am very familiar with the greater wax moths and their cocoons and damage. There were none of them. This is my first storage damage since I started using BT about 3 years ago. Now to figure out a future prevention. Thank you.