Storing honey supers

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Where's my beating a dead horse icon lol......anyway...

Has anyone taken their empty drawn honey supers and stored them in totes with snap on lids?

I was wondering with the lack of air movement will they get moldy?

Seems like it would keep the pests out though.

Last year I stacked them in the barn with a sheet of plywood on top and a sheet of plywood on the bottom with something heavy on top of that and they were fine. Only thing is last year they didn't get honey in them just hatched out brood and then they were removed for the season.

Thanks,

Ed

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I've stored them in totes without any mold problems, but I didn't find any totes where the size was perfectly suited for the job.

Now I've got many stored in supers, but first sprayed with BT. Haven't had any problems with those either.

Walt

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Just part of the friendly service around here at the Beekeeping Forums!

[​IMG]

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Where is the best place to purchase
    Bacillus Thuringiensis
    online?

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you place the extracted combs on the hive above an inner ceiling, for a few days, before storing, the bees should clean out all remnants of the honey (moving it down, below the partition) and then there should be no concerns about mould. However, even if you should get some mould, the bees are very good at cleaning it away when you return the combs to the hives next year.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ed,
    i haven't stored 'empty' drawn supers in totes, too many for me for this, but i store supers the bees cleaned up after extraction in a milk house, cool and dry. but how i store them is similiar to your plywood method. i have plywood cut to fit the tops/bottoms of the boxes as 'covers'. once extracted and cleaned up by the bees, my supers are stacked in the milk house on pallets with the plywood 'cover' cut to fit the boxes, and some of them are stained with water based fence/deck stain. i put one on the bottom of each stack and sometimes one or so in between, and one on top with some weight on it. the pest's i am most concerned about are the carpenter ants....i sprinkle some cream of wheat around and no carpenter ants. the mice are taken care of by any snakes that get in there, and solid bait outside the building, and the bats take care of the wax moths, and don't really have a problem with them anyway because of my setup. there are crystals you can purchase for wax moths to use in the supers to circumvent wax moth infestation, but have never used the stuff.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member