Strains of Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, May 17, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

In the beginning had 3 banded Italian's, good producers, kinda miserable to work without choking them half to death with smoke. now have 3 hives of buckfast, and replacement hive with starline with buckfast I do have some experience, with starline I have none anyone here know of that starline strain? Know are of Italian decent and that's it.
    Barry

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think tec knows about the developement of starline but don't know if it even exists anymore.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I had some back in the 60's or 70's? when i had Midnight and Caucasian (sp?) bees,don't remember their orgin, but remember they were good honey producers.I bet tec. will know. Jack

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think??? starlines and midnights were three way crosses. both were very popular back in the late 70's and early 80's. my understanding was it was difficult over time to maintain the drone population for the various crosses..... plus the offspring of these could be very feisty (which is kind of the rule for hybrid in that the offspring in almost every measure are inferior to their parents). I never had much experience with the starlines besides stuffing them in packages. the midnight I did get to work some of these... very gently dark bee but very slow to build up in the springtime is what I remember.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

b and b honey farm in minnesota used to offer packages and queens for midnights and starlines until a few years ago. if i remember correctly, midnights are a cross of the caucasian and carniolan race, and starlines are crosses of italian hybrids.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

that is kind of how I remember it riverbee... but like I said I didn't have much interest in either and besides having worked a commercial bee keeper's bees who ran straight midnight I have little experience and no interest in either of these 'breeds'.

I myself learned bee with my mentors German Black bees and quickly moved to Italians for my first bees and never strayed much from that path. Most all my current stock is Italian with a bit of Carnolian tossed in for flavor. I raise Cordovans queens to sell to the public (mostly novice folks).

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I loved working with the Midnight bees, until they mixed with the German Black bees at my uncles farm. They became Devils and made beekeeping miserable, i think meaner because it made the German Black bigger. The Caucasian bees were excelient honey producers and easy to work with, BUT, they propolized everything together and i broke frames apart trying to take them out. I heard that a beekeeper in Salem, Mo. still has the Caucasian breed and sells queens. The way they propolize evrything together, they would make life miserable for SHB's.:lol: Jack

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

my bad---not starline, but goldline another italian hybred

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think you are right about the caucasian Jack. although I may 'speak' of my bees as being largely italian I do see a hive here or there that just propolized everything which I assume is a good display of just a tad bit of caucasian blood. for the hives that do this I don't see much of any problem with the small hive beetle and every once in a while you will pop one out of their propolis entombment.

11. LongWoods

LongWoods New Member

Barry,

By any chance were you thinking of the Purvis Goldline ? They are Italian for sure and maybe a bit of Cordovan and who knows.

Dann Purvis sells them as a hybrid Italian with honey production, temperament and hygienic behavior as their main criteria. Most folks that have some of these queens seem to be fairly well pleased with their results.

For several years they were sold as Purvis Bros Goldline queens. Dann Purvis has since moved to Leoma, TN and produces them on a somewhat smaller basis.

*Just as an FYI, this fall when we start our requeening, I plan to try a 1/2 dozen or so in one yard to start looking at how they rate on my criteria sheet. They definitely rate a 10 on the "Dang purdy" part .... LOL.

LP

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I thought I liked the buckfast queens until I saw the goldline queen. beautiful golden brown coloring heavy abdomen just a beautiful looking queen. the buckfast queens are beautiful chocolate brown, and now I have something to compare them with.
    Barry

13. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Starline and Midnight were hybrids developed by Dadant decades ago. They are/were not sustainable due to the genetic depression of the inbred component. Dr. Larry Connor did some of the original work and references it in his books.
    I list and compare several of the current and previously available lines at http://americasbeekeeper.org/Honey_Bee_sub-species.htm

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and thanks for the link americasbeekeeper.