Strange comb building

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ndm678, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ndm678

ndm678 Member

It looks fine, but their method boggles me. #3,4,and half of 5 are their brood nest. No order to nectar, pollen or brood its just everywhere. The other half of #5 looks more organized (noticeable bands). #2 is being built on the nest side, other side is bare. #1 is just starting to be build, also on nest side. #6,7,8,9,10 are untouched foundation. I moved the entrance feeder over to the untouched side to encourage (experiment) comb building. As some of you know, Its a package I got in mid May, Queen went missing, replaced in early June. When i put the new queen in, the nest area was nearly filled with nectar, so it took her awhile to get laying (I assume). Lots of brood removal in recent past, not nearly as much this week. The new bees have began to out number the old bees. My wife believes the old bees are incompentant and my woes will lessen with the new stock. I just wanted to know if this was normal, or should I intervene? Started feeding a lighter feed (1:1.5) to encourage comb building, if that helps