strange honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Is it ok for honey to be this dark? just looks odd to me :confused:

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as far as I know almost all honey constantly goes thru a state of oxidation which makes it darker and darker the more it ages.

when I have honey (not going to happen this year) I have some customers who actually prefer very dark honey... they almost always say the darker the better.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

thnx Tec, I have tons of it and just wanted to make sure it was good, seen dark but never this dark

4. Omie

Omie New Member

What's the color like if you just take a little bit of it on a white plate for example? What's the tint color?- purple, reddish, amber, brown, blueish....?

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

its a amber, a dark amber actually, it came from the tree cut-out and some of it may have been in the combs for 2 or more years, the bees were storing way more then they could ever use.

10 one quart jars, 6 half pints and 12- 8 oz jars atm and more to hand squish lol its so slow to do it this way but next year Ill be spinning frames :Dancing:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh... so it is naturally aged honey?

8. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Looks like molasses. This would probably be good for baking with. What's the flavor like?

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Srv, it tastes incredible, my wife bought a tiny jar of store bought just to compare, and its like a frozen pizza compared to a fresh made pizza from Dino's (best pizza place within 100 miles of me)

Tes, the outer comb in the tree hive was almost black its been there so long and there were no open cells to be found, come to think of it I didnt find any new comb in the tree at all, odd with a hive that old and full there were no queen cells at all ya figure they would have been tossing swarms out

10. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Zookeep, I'm loving your pictures, this one (NEVER have I seen honey that color!) and the one of your new apiary-to-be. But :confused: I'm beginning to wonder if you're living in the past... :D

(hoping you don't mind a little kidding)

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

90% of my honey was dark this year :confused: .When our bee club sold honey from our booth at the county fair this year, the members told everyone that i was bottling my used tractor oil and selling it for honey. :lol: It taste great and my customers at the farmers market bought several quarts to stock up for winter,said they didn't want to run out of it.When ask what the bees made it from, i said i didn't have any idea? but if i knew i'd plant some of it. :mrgreen: I have noticed over the years, that in hot, dry weather (drought) the honey (if any) is darker. Jack

12. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

[attachment=1:3l9wy6wu]DCFC0070.JPG[/attachment:3l9wy6wu]lol sky, ya I know everytime I put new batteries in the camera the date goes back to 2003 or something and like every1 else from my age group the way to fix that is to get a 12 year old to reprogram it fast lol

Attached Files:

13. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

ROFL! :rolling:

Or, like in my case, just use the 13 year old's camera. :D

PS. That honey looks amazing!

14. Omie

Omie New Member

Wow, a good honey haul! Nice!!

15. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

Buckwheat's black isn't it? I didn't think Japanese Knotweed was dark like that...

Adam

16. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

Wow, Do you live in the woods, honeydew? I had a guy in store other day said our honey was not dark enough for him, said the darker the better. That was a first. I hear dark honey makes good mead

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Shane writes:
    That was a first. I hear dark honey makes good mead

tecumseh:
    I have toyed around with making some mead myself. I know folks here that are quite into beer making and the one complaint I hear about mead is the it is tasteless. After being given a bit of mead by Flyman made from golden rod honey I decided that the problem was the folks making the mead were quite likely using tasteless store bought honey. And yes Flyman golden rod honey did have the taste of gym socks... an acquired taste I would guess.