Strange looking bees

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Pok, Aug 19, 2019.

What are these unusual looking bees ? Are these diseased bees or something else ?

1. They were noted on routine check up and they are confined in snmall area of combs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Please help me and answer.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Pok

Pok New Member

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The fuzzy bees are newly hatched and all furry, their fur will wear off. The shiny bees are foragers, all of their has gone from their work and defending the hive. They are older and have been known to drop dead during work, their bodies will be removed.

DBLBee likes this.

3. Pok

Pok New Member

20190827_195907.jpg II saw more of the unusual looking bees on other hives. They don't look like normal dead bees I see outside hives. They are dead and stuck to combs. Some areas of comb appear greasy with honey on the surface. I am still quite puzzled on these dead bees.

4. Gypsi

they look drowned in honey actually. did you have robbing going on? move the hive?

5. Sid Lehr

Sid Lehr New Member

Do you have beetle traps with oil in place? Leaking or spilled oil can also look like this.

DBLBee likes this.
  6. Gypsi

or spilled syrup if a feeder is leaking, or they almost drowned in syrup, got out and died anyway?

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

This could also be a sign of Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus Type 2. Hairless, greasy looking bees are a day or two away from dying. This is a disease transmitted by the varroa mite.
    I would do a sugar roll test or other to determine the mite count. Treat if needed. This is the time of year when honey bee colony population starts to decline, but the mites keep multiplying. The mites eventually over whelm the colony, transmitting viruses and disease.
    To read more https://bee-health.extension.org/honey-bee-viruses-the-deadly-varroa-mite-associates/

Sid Lehr and Gypsi like this.
  8. Gypsi

Always a good idea to treat mites right about now.

9. Gypsi

I think that Thursday morning very early is mite treating day. I need to start feeding around here, flow is low and I have someone coming in the morning to help me clean a couple of ponds, he won't appreciate bees buzzing him.