strange sting reaction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mama Beek, Feb 16, 2011.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I have heard several bee keeps say they wear blue nitrile gloves with good results.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

MamaBeek - if you do decide to try the nitrile gloves, here's a sizing estimate:
    Most men need the XL. I can wear them, but the fingers are too big and get stuck in things.

"Large" works better, but are still a bit loose. I do, however, have really thin fingers. I might fit in a medium better.

My husband used to work in a place where they used lots. He says even the smallest women could not squeeze in to the size "small."

I'd start with L or maybe XL. If you end up with a 100-count box that doesn't fit, I will buy it off you. We go through them at an alarming rate at work.

Just had a thought - these gloves have short cuffs, so you would need wrist protection.

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'll have to give the nitrile gloves a try, it just sounds like a great way to get by until I figure out a better alternative.

Thanks for the sizing info Hobie... I would have foolishly gone and bought a box of small.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

The goatskin gloves will shrink when washed.

This is a little off topic but my goatskin gloves got stiff from the build up of propolis and i was working my northern bee yards when it started raining,being 70 miles from home i kept working them in the light rain.(a no,no) The palms of my hands have cracked and peeled for years,(very painful) doctors said they couldn't do nothing for it, well the rain soaked my gloves and soften the propolis. On the drive home my palms felt soft and sticky,when i got home i washed my hands but left the propolis in those cracked palms, within two days the cracks were gone and didn't come back for two weeks :thumbsup: So now when the cracking and bleeding starts i soak a piece of propolis in warm water and rub it in my palms,the cracking has stopped on my left hand and almost on the right hand for over a year now. :yahoo: Jack

5. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I can get by with a large or xl either one. The large are snug and my ring finger is a 9 if that gives you any help.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'll try to wash the goatskin gloves again to see if I can shrink them Jack. We LOVE propolis here too, it goes into a lot of the stuff we make and use on a regular basis like the sore throat spray, elderberry syrup, and salve. It's great stuff!

Thanks Charla, it sounds like the large ones will be the best fit then.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Mama Beek, i found that after you wash them the fingers will twist and harden(maybe the propolis). I had to soak them in water and wear them wet working my bees, and let them dry while wearing them the first time after washing them. (my wife had washed them in the washer). Jack

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

hmmm, I won't be working the bees but maybe I'll wear them while I clean out the shed. I hadn't thought of tossing them in the washer!! I'll give it a try later on... thanks again Jack :)