Strange Things Happening

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 14, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have read and always thought that the lenght of days is what makes bees (and other animals) start the reproduction cycle.:roll: Well i checked four of my bee yards 60 miles north of my home, and they were booming, lots of bees and brood.Many still had 40 to 50 lbs. of honey on them and some had grown so much that i had to put syrup on them and reverse their brood boxes to give the queen laying room. All the queens are laying in the top box except two, and thats because their top box was full of honey.(i gave them another brood box )Some will argue to not reverse brood boxes, but to many times i have found that if the top box is full of brood and you find alot of capped drone cells (did not see any hatched drones) the next thing you will see is swarm cells.For some reason in my area they would rather swarm than drive the queen down.The strange thing about all the above is,everything is a month, or a month and a half ahead of all the years i remember:???:. What has me worried is, we haven't had but little moisture all winter and we are dry now. Jack

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Our Spring is happening right now in New York too- a whole MONTH early.
    It really is unheard of as far as I can remember.

If you have trees blooming and your hives are full of capped brood and 40 lbs of honey, why would you feed them sugar syrup? I must be missing something here? Sounds like your bees are doing great!! :)

I'm going to reverse my brood boxes too next week if the bottom boxes are mostly empty. Can't wait to pull off the winter wraps and open them up! :D

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I failed to say, the ones i had to put syrup on were almost out of stores.Not alot blooming yet, (some hives had fresh nectar in some frames) but they were packing in the pollen.The Maples have bloomed here and the Bradford pears and pussy willows,but up where i went yesterday around the river and wooded areas,(farm and wild country) not even the redbud or dogwoods are blooming yet? Jack

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Everything here in south Floridas a month or month and a half early as well, Orange grapefruit and everything else is or did bloom (kinda nuts)

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

After last year's drought, Dec through March have all been over average rainfall. The cracks in the earth are closing, temperatures in the upper 70's. I'm having a hard time believing this is March! A couple of week's ago I was fussy because I was so far behind and I realized it was still only February.

Walt

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It is very very warm for March. Our night time lows are in the upper 60's - that's normally our daytime high for March. Bees are early, flowers are blooming early, I went ahead and planted tomatoes about a week ago, from started 4 inch pots, because if we are warm this early we may be too hot early too.

Gypsi

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Global Warming! It's world-wide.
    Last week a swarm moved into a bait hive that my grandson set up--almost one month before the swarming season is "supposed to" start. :dontknow: