Strawberries

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Ladyleo191, May 22, 2010.

1. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

We were finally able to get some local berries this morning. Most local growers have had a tough time getting in the fields because we've been getting some much-needed rain.

Mom and I made 6 pies and I made a batch of jam for hubby, and we froze about a half-gallon between the two of us. And of course, I had to make sure (more than once) that the berries were sweet and juicy enough to use. :D

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

quality control is always the best position to have in the kitchen :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:

G3

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We have eaten all the berries from our garden already :oops: I guess I'll have to make my way to one of the farms that still has a few before it's too late. I NEED to have strawberries in the freezer and make some preserves for my winter time toast and oatmeal! :cry:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I have two rows of strawberries each 75ft. long and 3ft. wide (Earlyglow and Honeyeye) this the second week of picking. The first week was great, our son and daughter came and picked 5 gal. each to eat and freeze, my wife and i have sold $400.00 worth at the farmers market and froze 18 quarts plus having shortcake every day for two weeks :thumbsup: This last week it was cloudy and rained every day, when it stopped raining (4 to 5 hour breaks) we would pick in the mudd,it was disturbing to pick one good strawberry and throw away five big molded berries :roll: There would have been at least another $400.00 worth to sell.But that's farm life and the sun is shining and we are still picking enough for preserves, short cake and home made ice cream. :yahoo: Jack

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I used to grow strawberries in the garden, last year I made some great jam, but I screwed it up. I used real sugar in the jams. My wife is diabetic so she couldn't enjoy it. This year she tore out the strawberry patch to plant acorn squash. She's the only one that eats acorn squash, but I'm not about to open my mouth to complain.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Wise choice Ben. Garden space kinda tight where you live?

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I'm the king and this is my castle, what i say goes around here. :thumbsup: I guess i should say the wife is in the other room reading the paper and never reads my post. :mrgreen: Jack

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You may have hip boots on, but as deep as it's getting, it may flow into the other room. :eek: :D

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Yeah, I only have four 8' x 6' vegetable garden plots, and one 3' x 5' herb garden plot. I'm only on 1/3rd of an acre, and with the house, drainage pond, and trees, there's not a whole lot of space left.

We just looked at a piece of land today though... the price is pretty close to our range, or at least a lot cheaper than most other land we've seen in East TN. If it works out we'll have a nice area to put around 40 - 48 hives, nice big veggie gardens, lots of fruit trees, chickens, and maybe even a cow or goat.

10. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

my berries are coing around for the second batch. I have everbearing type. Smaller but I gt to pick more on my walks!! Froze a few gallons and made a few batches of jam so far.