Streamlight TLR-4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charles, May 23, 2012.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

We don't have much firearm talk but I was wondering if anyone has used the TLR-4 laser / flashlight. I'm thinking of getting one for my Springfield XD-40. The TLR-3 was my first choice but TLR-4 is newer model and half the cost. It should also fit my Colt CC 45 so that's a bonus.

This is a nightstand (not literally) gun for home protection so I like the compact design and I don't need it in a holster. Any users out there?

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi Charles, i'll start. i own a collection of firearms, and have used firearms since I was about age 6. ……(would explain my challenges in hearing no ear protection then :grin:). I learned to shoot the old fashioned way, and have tried various laser sights.

these are my thoughts.
    in my opinion these are nice accessories for any firearm, however, i think the point to consider here is marksmanship skills. although they intelligently direct bullets at a target, there are no laser guided bullets. with home protection, under stress, you pull the gun, you shoot the gun, the bullet goes where the muzzle is pointed, with, or without the laser. you aim and you fire without hesitation? most of us are not 'trained' to think this way, or are not 'trained' to hesitate when we should be, even with a laser sight. it is in the skill of your marksmanship.

they are nice for an additional sighting option, and the flashlight is nice. i think lasers are good to use to obtain marksmanship skills, because you can see your target and determine trigger control, or muzzle twitching, to help you see what is happening when the trigger is pulled, and where it goes. also, when first adjusting to using these, it is amazing how much that little red dot moves around quite a bit when you are aiming, during firing practice, let alone aiming under stress.

i have heard some say too much practice with a laser sight trains the eye to look at the laser and not the target, or develop poor shooting habits by depending on that sight rather than conventional sighting. i did find myself focusing on the red dot rather than the target at first.

with that said, they do well at what they are designed for. low light and maybe stressful situations, put that little dot on target and blast away. i would hope for you and your family you would never have to make that decision.

i would say, or would encourage you to practice with them first to see if you like them and then decide before you buy. :grin:

3. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply riverbee. We grew up with guns too, Dad was Marine Corp special forces recon and probably 40% of the family is law enforcement. Plenty of hardware around here :) This particular XD has black sights so not much good in low light levels. I also completely agree with your statements on marksmanship and we actually go to the range quite often but if something happens at 3 in the morning, the adrenaline is flowing, you still have sleep in your eyes, and there are other people sleeping in the house you can't beat that little red dot. The streamlights are awesome because of the switch location next to the trigger, you don't turn it on until you need it.

My question was really in the performance of the TLR-4, they are new this year and I don't know anybody that has one yet... guess I'll pave the way and go pick one up. I have a cousin that has the TLR-3 and I really like it but some of the early models had problems snapping off after a few hundred rounds if overtightened.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well here i was blabbering on :lol:
    that switch location would be nice next to the trigger to turn it on when you need it. i have not used the tlr-4 or the 3 (did hear some rumblings about the design). i have brothers with lots of hardware, one might have one, and also some friends still in the L. E. field as well, i will give a few jingles see if anyone i know has any opinions on the performance.