stressed out hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Nov 8, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

my biggest hive is no longer my biggest hive....its is stressed out....i did a full check on it and its dropping in numbers, not storing honey/pollen, agitated an has a good number of SHB....there are no eggs and only a small patch of brood in the center....is this colony starving and the SHB increasing because its stressed...i saw no SHB larva an really there isnt anything for the larva to eat...unless they eat wax too...the queen is there an marked sooooo....my plan is to feed them heavy an put them in the sun with some SHB traps....all my other hives...even the smaller ones are doing fine.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

stress in a hive will draw the small hive beetles like steel to a magnate. 'I suspect' most time the traps makes the bee keeper feel better but does little to really counter the problem. if you are in the short blooming part of your season????* then feeding is the first item you need to consider. on about half the hive that show the same problems here boosting with a bit of sealed brood from another hive is the other necessary item to bring the small hive beetle numbers back under control.

by and large the small hive beetle is very attracted to high protein feed resources like pollen... this item is what generally gets their numbers booming.

*if you are not in some dearth then obviously this hive has other problems that you will need to first discover and then resolve.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Maybe reduce the size of the hive so that what numbers the bees do have can cover better the size of the hive, then do what Tec said and add some brood from another hive.

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

thats what im trying to figure out....my other hives seem to be doing fine....they have nector an pollen stored an were not as abundent in numbers as this hive....this is the hive i sat the cut out bees next to...which left after two or three days an the SHB was left to ravage the hive before i found out they were gone....this hive is in beemax equipment tho i doubt that matters much...this is also the hive i combined last month...the small hive that had the queen in it, which is the queen in this hive now, never seemed to get any bigger...i dont think the other hives are robbing it....i think id notice that by now....with no stores/brood in the hive it makes me think the SHB are a byproduct of the stress an not the original cause tho im sure they are making it worse now....im not sure what to look for now as far as clues to the cause....A divison board would be a great help here.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I would suspect your trouble points to the queen. If it were mine i would requeen, but that would be a problem finding a queen this time of year and the weather here in my area. Think tec, and zookeep have the right idea. Jack

6. rast

rast New Member

I also think it is a queen issue. You might be able to get one from Miksa. Like they said, consolidate and feed.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

to add to my prior list...

if you have frames with obvious shb problems freeze these (wrap in a plastic bag if it is your wife's or girlfriend's freezer) before the damage is too far along and you can reuse the frames without too much trouble. actually I like to freeze any frames that I even think may harbor shb eggs (to me the face of the frames looks soiled... ie not cleaned and polished). after freezing for one to two days I place over a very populated hive.

if the hive in question has no queen I would consider stacking with a + populated hive but do be careful about adding any frames that may be severely infested. most time i like to come back a few days later and check the bottom board to make certain the debris has been removed. if any debris is on the bottom board do not toss this on the ground. I suggest you burn this in a pot or in your smoker.

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Hey 2K if ya need a queen and cant get 1 let me know, I might be able to give you 1, Im on a roll and gonna star 1 more nuc thursday, its gonna be a 2nd generation from the tree hive, the 3 queens from the 1st generation are egg laying machines so I have high hopes.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

The colony has a queen....her mother was a carny queen....the nuc she was in never got that much bigger from when i made it....im gonna feed them an cramp her with a division board....i dont know what to think about her...i would say its the carny in her shutting down brood production for the winter....but one of my other queens is from the same frame of eggs she was and she is doing fine....how do i know if a frame has SHB eggs in it...i did keep green drone frames in my hives this year and froze them when they got full of capped drone brood...i didnt see any diffrence in SHB numbers but i am still a babe in the woods when it comes to pest recognition and management...i did get to see what happeneds when the SHB take over though...thats nasty and why im maken the traps as soon as i get the borric acid.

Are the Miksa's the owners of Indian summer....if so thats where i got this queens mother...she was a layer that one...wish i knew what happend to her :/

now i've been looking and cant find plans for a division board....it just has to be like a frame that has the inner dimentions of the hive so bees cant get past it for the most part right...it doesnt have to be compleatly bee proof does it ???

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    now i've been looking and cant find plans for a division board.

tecumseh ask:
    a follower board?

11. rast

rast New Member

Tec, probably nomenclature. Same
    2KD, one of those political signs cut to fit reasonably tight and stapled to a top bar. Just pay attention to the bottom entrance area so it is closed off and it must go from bottom board to the hive cover and seal there also.

[​IMG]

12. rast

rast New Member

Nope, Miksa is in Groveland, queen raising is his only business.
    I always used 20 Mule Team Borax from the grocery store.
    Carny's will slow down, but not shut down completely. Never growing is what makes me suspect the queen. Even from the same brood, drone mating (or lack of) makes a big difference.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Rash writes;
    Carny's will slow down, but not shut down completely.

larry conner tells the story in one of his books that when he was doing the queen rearing gig in Florida (long, long ago... Ft Myers area I think???) that he had a certain variety of Carnis that would totally shut down within two days of the end of a flow.

ps.. great use of a political sign rast. for a small fee I can get 2kool to work on patenting that idea???

14. rast

rast New Member

Good info. That variety probably not sustainable here.
    Email me the contract for my percentage after you and 2KD negotiate :D .
    PS... I got those legally from her campaign manager.

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Thats a great idea for those signs....i see its stapled to one side of the frame....bee space says sign side faces to the bees right ???

if i work out a deal an get pepsie to put their logo on it an get yall a commercial....well you could afford to hire people to get stung for you while you attended bee conventions in france...see...i KNEW you could get rich an famous bee keeping (ummm...when you do i need a job :/ )

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

oh yea...how much do you mix with crisco to make the bait....im gonna use the CD case traps.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast writes;
    PS... I got those legally from her campaign manager.

tecumseh;
    the idea would be worth more if you had stollen the sign. adds value don't you think to remove these when ever and where ever they pop up?

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Watermelons and political signs should never be obtained legally. It totally destroys the value.

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lmbo....now thats a fact....contraband watermelons and questionably obtained political signs are a must....would eating smoked mullet off the political signs hurt the bees....political signs already smell fishy....an it sure would go well with the ''whatmelons''.....wait....is consuming food off a political signs a-kin to eating food off dirty dishes....i dont wanna get food poisoning :/

20. rast

rast New Member

The crisco is just to plug the holes in the ends to keep the borax from falling out. Watch this video of Don's.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FatBeeMan#p/u/2/h_KDPp8H6PU
    Only time I ever stapled em was when I put them on the inside of the hive cover. Kinda hard to staple to a SBB :D .