Stubborn Mulberry Tree Swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 29, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Received a call from the same guy that called last week where a fork lift gave me a ride. He has several colonies in trees around the property. Three farms down is where the brick wall trap out is. He said the swarm was 10 feet high. I didn't have a ladder so I climbed the tree and used a saw-zaw to cut the branch just enough that it would start to fall slowly. Well, it fell quickly. bees everywhere even though my nuc was below. I ended up cutting 4 small limbs from that tree before succeeding. They were going back to a different limb every time. I returned at 10pm to collect them but they were clustered on the outside of the nuc. I returned this morning and placed the whole nuc and bees in a cardboard box and sealed it. I had a vent spot on the side. And, it was appropriately marked already, "Fragile," ha! They are now in my yard.

DSCF8211.jpg DSCF8212.jpg DSCF8214.jpg DSCF8217.jpg DSCF8219.jpg DSCF8221.jpg DSCF8222.jpg DSCF8223.jpg
    [video=youtube;DFddvn9CfpI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFddvn9CfpI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

atta boy Dave!! I like to see that cardboard box and screen wire.........................good ol' red neck in-ji-nu-ity.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap! Well, it worked out just perfect.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nice video, Dave. I see you like your privacy.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I guess I do Iddee but I have warmed up to you all like I have known you for years. I am not in many of my videos because I don't have anyone to film. Suppose I could bring my tripod but it's just one more thing to remember to bring along...

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dave another nice set of pix on a swarm call, love the 'fragile' thing......and your wife said what about more bees in the yard?!..........:lol:
    (ps your video, i couldn't view it, said it was private.....?)

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't think you got my hint. The video is set for private. I can't view it.

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! Sorry Iddee...little slow today...very tired. I fixed it. Oh, Becky, my wife is worried I am getting out of hand! ha!:dance:

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

nice video dave, love it!
    can't offer any advice about what really works to not make our spouses think we have totally lost our marbles, maybe iddee can....:lol:
    i have recently read some funny posts about other spouses not being thrilled, and i really had to laugh earlier when i read one of perry's posts, about his nuc's swarming and his wife calling and telling him about the swarming......wonder what she said to him.....:lol:

ps, this is just npt ordinary typical stuff and conversation ....:lol:
    (only beekeepers).

10. jb63

jb63 New Member

Your on a roll Dave, keep it going.:thumbsup:

11. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Another well documented capture. Thanks.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Spousal peace = When you spend a thousand on bees, the spouse fusses and slowly forgets. When you sell a hive, or honey, for 200, it is all profit. The expense is forgotten.

Show the spouse the 200 "profit" and share the proceeds.A shopping trip for the wife, or a new tool for the hubby.

It works well here. :thumbsup: :grin: