Study of how bees segment, form body elements, role of RNA

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Americasbeekeeper, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Pair-Rule Gene Orthologues Have Unexpected Maternal Roles in the Honeybee (Apis mellifera)
    Pair-rule genes are a set of genes identified in Drosophila melanogaster that act in segmentation [1]. The early maternal expression of Am-eve, Am-ftz and Am-run, and the severe effects on both anterior/posterior and dorso/ventral patterning, imply that these genes may have significant patterning roles early in development.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0046490

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Thanks again for some more interesting reading material. It's a little deep and I don't know if I'll ever use it but I will store it with all the other trivia in my brain.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Thank you. I thought about the compexity before I posted it. I read Snodgrass' "The Anatomy of the Honey Bee" and it really challenges what we learn as beginning beekeepers. That was written back in 1910. So often I read on these forums when someone is using human (vertebrate, mammal, endoskeletal) rationalization wth an insect or "we just don't know" I just had to post they really do know.
    To quote Bro. Adam of Buckfast Abbey --
    "But we really never have had or ever will have a mastery over the honeybees. She is wild by nature and will at all times have her own way and will unfailingly and unerringly follow her instincts. It is up to us to understand her ways and adjust ourselves to her truly marvelous nature, not attempting the impossible of `mastering’ her, but rather doing all we can to serve her needs."

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Excelent quote from Brother Adams. He didn't try to make the bees conform to his ideas but observed and adapted practices to providing for the bees. Him and Landstroth are two of the most important founding beekeeper of modern beekeeping and both of there contributions came from observing the bees and adapting to their needs, not trying to get the bees to conform to their ideas. Some thing we all need to keep in mind.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for the article. I coudn't agree more with adapting to their needs.