Stung on eyelid

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by dr.buzz, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Someone here mentioned how much everyone likes to see photos of bee stings, so here is my 6-year-old Scott's first sting. He was nowhere near our hives, but they were mad about something messing with them the night before, I think...Luckily it just got him on the corner of his eye, kind of, but not on the eyeball itself....
    scott-beesting-day2.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I looked like that many times as a kid from wasps, but have never had a honeybee close it completely. Did it leave the stinger?

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

oohhhh poor guy!! I know that had to hurt.

Hope he gets to feeling better soon and when he goes to school and the other kids want to know what happened he can always say "If you think I look bad, you should have seen the other guy!!"

4. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Yeah, my wife was right there when it happened and she scraped the stinger off.
    We homeschool, so he only gets to show it off to his siblings. He does want us to send the picture to his Grandma, of course...

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ouch! He reminds me of Ralphie on A Christmas Story a little. Hope it heals fast...

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got one just below the eyebrow when I did a split a few weeks ago. We were twenty yards away taking a break and I just had taken my veil off. I think they were really upset. So I can empathize.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Tough kid! :thumbsup:

8. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

poor fella, I feel his pain. Around my eye is the only place I swell up too.

James

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

Brave young man :)

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

what a war wound. Hope he heals up fast

11. milapostol

milapostol New Member

He actually looks like he's proud of it and that it would make a good story!

12. kebee

kebee Active Member

I will have to say he got it worst than I did, mine were on the both hands, the left swell up bad but the right hand not hardly at all. Hope it goes down for him soon.

kebee

13. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Yelp....tough, brave, painful, and a bunch other words. You've got a tough kid there!!! The closest I've gotten to a face sting was a spot on the down below the righthand side of my adams apple. Facial stings SCARE me...but I know they're coming one day!!!

Now would be a good time to get some pics of him with a snarl on his face, a little fake blood out of the corner of his mouth, and an axe in his hand. Who knows what that might be useful for later....??? :eek:

Ed

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I got one in the same spot today. Left eye, lower eyelid. His is prettier than mine, tho. Mine hardly shows.

15. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

As my will say after she falls " there is nothing worse then getting hurt and not getting a battle wound, so nobody feels sorry for you :wink:. Tough little guy you got there , looks like he's proud of it, at least he had a better excuse to the " teacher " then the dog ate my homework:razz:

16. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Oh, he's totally proud of it. He was walking around with a pirate eye patch over it, but he took it off before we all went to the library because nobody would be able to see his eye with the patch on it. He really really wanted someone to say something about it so he could reply, "Yeah, but you ought to see the other guy. He's dead!" He even rehearsed saying it. But then my wife reminded him that since boy bees don't have stingers, it was really a girl that swelled him up like that. That seemed to present some difficulties to his version of how things went down. But we showed him his picture on this website, so he reckons that he is famous now and thinks everyone in town will recognize him. When told that it's much less puffy today, he did seem a bit disappointed.

17. bamabww

bamabww New Member

That's a tough young man there, hope he's better soon. A sting around the eyes is what I dread the most.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

Well I was added to the eyelid sting today

came home after writing my Scuba Diving exams to find two hives bearding...... I knew it was close and have been building boxes for last 3 days .

So rushed to fire up a smoker, and headed to the worst which was a nuc still in cardboard box from a week ago, moved the frames across into a 5 frame wood box, added second level and was adding the frames when someone got upset and two bees flew right at me, saw them in peripheral vision and just closed my eye in time, both hit the eyelid at same time, one stuck... very sore, now I am half blind smoking my EYE and still holding a frame of bees...... yep probably hilarious.

I put the frame in and headed to my bee box and retrieved my Baker's Venom Cleanser, and dabbed my eye. I have continued to do this every half hour since then and the results have been incredible.

at one hour:

IMG-20120429-00211-2.jpg

By dinner I had a bag under my eye

and now at 9:30pm most of the swelling is gone..... Baker's is amazing. Still painful, but minimal swelling.

Of course today happens to be a special day , my wife has put up with me for 17 years, so there I am in a fancy restaurant with a bright red swollen eye,,, but no-one asked LOL

Attached Files:

19. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Thanks for mentioning the Baker's Venom Cleanser, I'll get some. And Happy Anniversary...

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

OUCH! Poor fella! "Yo Adrian!"

We homeschool too!