Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had a rare storm blow across my area. It was a sudden storm complete with high winds and horizontal sheets of COLD rain. Our empty rain barrel at the bottom of a downspout filled to overflowing in a matter of minutes. It lasted for only about 30 minutes, and I enjoyed every "soaked to the bones" minute of it.

But I'm wondering how my foragers fared, especially considering the high wind and the very chilly rain. Would they have sensed the approaching storm and high-tailed it back to shelter? Or are they so intent on their missions that they become unaware of impending trouble?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
they made it just fine may have lost a few but overall they will survive and not enough would be lost to even notice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would think that any that are "caught out" could simply wait until things blow over. I also wonder if a a few bees sometimes overnight on their own and simply head back the next day.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Bees are a lot smarter than people. You will never see bees rubber-necking and slowing down hours after congestion. That is why the Department of Transportation is studying bees to improve traffic management.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bees are a lot smarter than people. You will never see bees rubber-necking and slowing down hours after congestion. That is why the Department of Transportation is studying bees to improve traffic management.
I don't know, it seems like the bees do plenty of rubber-necking when I accidentally squish one putting the frames back in the box. A frustrating effort gets even harder as the bees pile up at the scene of the squish-i-dent.

Back to yesterday's storm; it appears that all the rain must have triggered the blooms and nectar. Never have I seen such activity at the hive!!! I may just get some honey this year after all.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a lot of course of what we 'think' we know about the bees is of course wild speculation and can sound a bit like old men swapping war stories.

there have been reports of bees (in significant numbers) flying home at very early (dark am) hours and some folks have speculated that these are foragers that got caught out the prior evening in much the manner you describe.

a good rain has a number of effects some of which you do notice in 'the short run' (<that is the economist speaking here) and some in 'the intermediate run' that most folks tend to not notice so much. often time the difference between capturing a bit of surplus and none at all is one good rain event.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts