Sugar bricks update

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

I went out today (almost 1 week after putting the bricks on the hives initially) to try to gauge just how fast they are going to go through the bricks. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQxmDn32 ... aWBKbM1c1_

I am starting to really like this winter feeding approach. Which has me thinking: I know that I can add dry pollen or dry pollen substitute when I make the bricks by adding it after the mixture is removed from the heat and cooling.

My question is - can I also use the bricks to medicate say with Fumigilin or supplementing with Nozevit or Honey-B-Healthy?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

very interesting how are you making the bricks. This is facinating

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as to your question... I cannot see why not.

the fumidillian of course you would want them to pick that up pretty fast <might suggest adding this with thin syrup and a spray bottle????

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I added Honey B Healthy to my bricks although mine looks more like peanut brittle lol.

Good videos.....thanks for taking the time ...

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Many thanks for the video. Like riverrat I am wondering how you make these bricks? It looks easier to make than fondant but maybe not?
    You also seem to have some type of vented cover. I noticed a notch in the front but also some holes in the back above (?) what looked like insulation?
    (Also noticed the lack of snow) :thumbsup: Enjoy it while it lasts :mrgreen:

6. Tyro

Tyro Member

Perry,

The inner covers I use are of the same design as the 'All-season inner cover' at Honeyrunapiaries.com. Only, I build them myself! It is cheaper that way. If you are interested, PM me - I think that I have a .pdf file for the plans. The innercover has a raised (min. 3.5") and vented section ABOVE the inner cover. I put a piece of 2.5 inch Styrofoam insulation in that space which closes the vents and insulates the top (the space is also convenient for feeding above the inner cover during the warm months).

The bricks are actually pretty easy:

10 lbs sugar
    4 cups water
    2 Tbsps white vinegar

Bring water and vinegar to boil - add sugar

Bring mixture to 245-250F (use a candy thermometer). Remove from heat and stir while cooling.
    When the mixture becomes opaque - pour into molds.

I use small bread/brownie pans (8"x4"x1") and line them with tin foil. This recipe makes three 3.5lb bricks that are 8"x4"x3/4". The whole process takes me about an hour.

No kidding about the snow. We got something like 200+ inches last year. When it melted, everything flooded and stayed flooded through June. Some of the farmers never even got a crop in. Out here, sufficient moisture is always a worry - but the last two years it has been too much of a good thing!

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Tyro, sent you a pm :mrgreen:

Us Tundra folks gotta stick together! ;)

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

9. Tyro

Tyro Member

Thanks Marbees!

The link to the plans simplifies things for everyone!

Mike

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks tyro, good video. :thumbsup: Jack

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Are these covers used in the summer as well? Would not the bees come up through the center hole and build comb up there in the summer, or is the 6x6 screen left in place?
    Thanks guys.

12. Tyro

Tyro Member

Perry,

I use the covers all summer. Bees don't come up and build comb. In fact, when I have had combs of honey break off and hit the ground - I just toss the broken comb in the 'well' of the cover. Because the vent holes are screened, only the bees in the hive can get to it. They come up and clean it all out. About a week later, I go in and scrape the left over wax out. I haven't had any issues with burr comb inside the cover.

The plans posted here are the same ones that I have.

Mike

13. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Thanks for the video and links. Great ideas.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

15. Tyro

Tyro Member

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I don't really remember there ever being that many trees in North Dakota???

17. Tyro

Tyro Member

HA! There aren't!

My hives are set up along a hedgerow on a friends farm. I backed them up as close to the trees as I could on the east side of the hedgerow. It is the best we can do for a windbreak.

If you listen closely to the audio at the beginning, you can hear my wife moving things and me telling her that she is moving part of my windbreak - she is moving the tumbleweeds that I pile behind the hives!

That is how desperate we get for shelter up here!

18. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I installed 2 sugar bricks from your recipe this morning in my two hives to make sure they have enough to get them through the rest of our winter. We're about 3 weeks to a month ahead of schedule temperature wise in north Alabama. We've had a very mild winter. Still gets below freezing at night some but the days are averaging 55 to 60 degrees.

Thanks again for sharing your recipe and the videos.

19. Tyro

Tyro Member

Glad to help! I hope that they work as well for you as they have worked for me.

Mike

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

tyro writes..
    That is how desperate we get for shelter up here!

tecumseh:
    during my tour of duty there I came to like those large stacks of square bales of hay... do the local farmers still have those?