Sugar does not produce honey...

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Omie, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Do the hives near Alsace produce chocolate flavored "honey" :lol:
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if some astute French businessman doesn't find some clever way to market this "specialty honey" at a premium price. Of course, he'd have to look on the proper thread to decide just how much to charge for it.
    While thinking of it, perhaps the White House should look into selling beer flavored honey from the hive on its lawn.
    We could have a whole new line of hive products entering the market. :rotfl:

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

hummingbird feeders made a lot of red honey in Texas last year. The feral bees in the rich areas emptied those feeders and stored it up. Found red honey on a cutout.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

That's what I thought when I saw this on the internet. Why not market it as a novelty item. It's not really honey, but I wouldn't throw it out. That falls back to that old saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." The Mars candy company would probably have an objection to using M&Ms or Mars in the name.

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

They should sell it to M&M as a sweetener in their candy. It could be used in baking where they use sugar honey corn syrup combinations for sweeteners. But they will want it at a greatly reduced price most likely.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

M&M/Mars should be forced to fully compensate the beekeepers for the contamination and loss of their honey crop due to their waste management negligence.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I can see a big legal fight developing over that issue--and you know who wins fights like that ---the lawyers!

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I think it's kind of a gray area (no pun intended). I'm sure the beekeepers feel a loss of money. But on the other hand, it's not necessarily everyone's responsibility to make everything in the world bee-proof. Of course, laws vary from country to country, and of course, YMMV.

At the very least, they could feed it back to the bees this winter.

This could go either way.