Beekeeping Forums banner

Sugar from Aldi

5K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  rast 
#1 ·
Yesterday I made syrup from sugar purchased from Aldi. When I was heating it, it turned all white and foamy, and I had a devil of a time keeping it from boiling over. When it cooled, there was a white scum (?) on top.

I usually buy a store brand, and as soon as it boils, it turns clear. It boils smoothly and there is no residue on top.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it "cheap" sugar from Aldi? Is there any reason to NOT feed it to the bees?

#6 ·
we don't let it boil so it doesn't form crystals. I boil the water, then add the sugar with the pan off the heat. Sounds like you weren't far from making rock candy.

sugar prices are crazy lately! Every once in awhile food lion puts out a store coupon for $1 off a bag, and sometimes you can find coupons for name brand sugar on the coupon sites. Whatever happened to the bulk bin stores???

#7 ·
Mama Beek said:
we don't let it boil so it doesn't form crystals. I boil the water, then add the sugar with the pan off the heat.
I've never heard that, for bee- or hummingbird food. I was always told that you boil the syrup 2 minutes so that it does not re-crystalize.

I will have to give your method a try. Thanks!

#21 ·
Iddee said:
No_Bivy, I would measure the water so I knew the ratio of the mix. 1/2 gal. of water would be 2:1, for winter storage feeding. 1 gal. of water would be 1:1, for spring build up feeding. It does make a difference.

1 gallon of water weighs 8.35 lb if you are adding 5lbs of sugar, you are getting your 1:1 a little diluted. You would need another 1/2 bag to get it closer.

#23 ·
a gallon of sugar does not = a gallon of water in weight.

Gallons are a measurement of volume and not weight. A gallon of lead does not = a gallon of feathers in weight.

if you wanted to get the ratios right it would be (assuming water:sugar and not sugar:water):

1:1---

1 gallon of water which = 8#
and 8# of sugar

2:1

1 gallon of water = 8#
and 4# of sugar

1:2

1 gallon of water = 8#
and 16# of sugar.

#25 ·
>>>>a gallon of sugar does not = a gallon of water in weight.<<<<

So how much does it weigh?

Pour 5 lb. of sugar in a graduated container and I think you will be VERY surprised.

Yes, in the case of water and granulated sugar, a dry ounce and a fluid ounce is equal.

A pint is a pound, sugar or water.

Also, in beekeeping, it is sugar water, not water sugar. 2:1 is 2 parts sugar and 1 part water, not the reverse.

#26 ·
So how much does it weigh?

=== 5 pounds of sugar is 5 lbs. 10 pounds of sugar is 10 pounds.

Pour 5 lb. of sugar in a graduated container and I think you will be VERY surprised.

=== at what? that it still weighs 5 pounds?

Yes, in the case of water and granulated sugar, a dry ounce and a fluid ounce is equal.

===no, because you are measuring ounces there is a difference in dry and fluid. they are not both measurements of weight. Fluid ounces is a volume and dry ounces is a weight... If you are trying to compare them this way, you would need to do a molarity converstion to get the right number of molecules in the fluid and the right number in the solid to balance the equation fluid to dry.

A pint is a pound, sugar or water.

=== a pint is not a pound. That is why it is called a pint, not a pound. A pint is a measurement of volume and not weight. a pound is a measurement of weight and not volume.

Also, in beekeeping, it is sugar water, not water sugar. 2:1 is 2 parts sugar and 1 part water, not the reverse.

=== I also told you the ratio above was assuming "(assuming water:sugar and not sugar:water)" it is very simple all you do to get it the other way is switch the words sugar and water and you get the inverse formula. 2:1 water to sugar becomes 2:1 sugar to water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.