sugar syrup question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I was wondering how long the mixture will stay fresh. Will it spoil. I am planing on haveing a hive top feeder which will hold about a gallon. I was wondering if I couuld just make 5 gallons and be set for a while or will it spoil? Also I have seen several post/Youtube Vid on Bee Tea. Is that just kicked up 1:1 with some Tea bags and lemon juice added? will it make a difference?

2. rast

rast New Member

It won't ferment fast if kept cool and no direct sunlight. I've kept a month before. Down here you may get some mildew, but that happens in the inverted feeders I use also. Seems to stay on the top. I add a little apple cider vinegar most times to bring the PH down. Southern bees may like sweet tea with lemon:grin:, I've never tried it.

3. Larus

Larus New Member

I think this is sort of analogous to milk in your fridge - if the expiration date is March 15th, it probably won't curdle first thing in the morning on March 16th, and you can still drink it for a few days after that, but do you want to? I've heard people say that 1:1 syrup will keep at 4 degrees Centigrade for 2 weeks, and even longer in the freezer. I've also read somewhere on this forum about putting 1 tablespoon of bleach per 1 gallon of syrup to retard mold growth, which will probably increase shelf life a bit. But syrup takes all of 15 minutes to make and maybe an additional half-hour to cool down. So, for a 1 gallon feeder, I prefer to just make it 1 gallon at a time, rather than worry about how to make room for 5 gallons of bee food in my fridge and what "expiration date" to put on it.

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I too have held it in a 5 gallon bucket for a couple of weeks with no issues, just kept it in a cool room. Never tried the tea but do use a splash of Honey B Healthy every now & then.

5. rast

rast New Member

It doesn't have to be refrigerated. Some commercials down here buy pallets at a time in 55 gal drums.

6. bee stung

bee stung New Member

5 gals ???? last fall my girls took most of a gal each day ,, 5 gals around 6 days ,

7. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thank all for the advice...