Sugar syrup

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beebuzzed, Jul 8, 2015.

1. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Has anyone tried feeding organic sugar syrup, then conventional sugar? I started with organic, then switch to conventional syrup and what I found was interesting. They loved the organic, but when I switched they stopped taken the syrup. I tried it with two different hives with same results. I switched back and the started to take it again.

2. Ray

Ray Member

What is organic sugar syrup? What do you consider conventional sugar syrup? Are you talking Cane vs. Beet sugar? GMO's?

3. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I mean organic syrup made with organic sugar in the raw, and conventional with white refined.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

It carries some byproducts that are not that good for bees. Stick to the refined stuff

5. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

You are saying the organic sugar has by products? I also would like to stay the refined sugar but they dont seem to be interested in it.

6. camero7

camero7 Member

if they aren't touching the sugar syrup you probably have a decent flow on... when it ends they will take the syrup

7. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I need to explain a little more. I use a hive top feeder that is split with two separate sides for syrup. As a test I used organic in one side and non organic in the other. They gobbled up the organic right away, and even found there way inside to lick every last drop. The other side was left untouched. To me it makes since I guess that they would prefer the purest form they could get, untainted raw sweets. I was just curious if anyone ever tried this. I tried this on two hives with same results.

8. camero7

camero7 Member

One of these days, when the organic sugar starts a dysentery problem in your hives, you'll go back to refined sugar. I would not want to try to winter my bees on stored sugar with all those impurities.

9. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Camaro' I do believe I should drop the word (raw). I am not sure why you would think it would cause dysentery any more than white refined. It just comes from certified organic sugar cane, and goes through minimal processing. I dont believe it contains any by-products. I would absolutely prefer to give them white refined as it is much cheaper.

10. camero7

camero7 Member

11. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Interesting, I would have never known. I appreciate you posting the link. I definitely would have thought it would be better for them.