Sugar water or what?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Dakine, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

What's best to spray the bees with when removing bees from a wild hive? I'm a noobie. Are there products out there that help calm bees? Does it matter if the sugar water is made from powdered or granulated? 50/50 or what? Aloha Dakine guy
    I did do bees over 20 years ago and I'm now starting again.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Granulated.... 50/50 or weaker, if you use anything.

35 years of removing bees, I have never sprayed them with anything.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

granulated sugar, 50/50 or weaker.

Have only used it for a cut out once, just because I could not use smoke inside of an apartment, really did not need it at all, but then again I have a bee vac.

4. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Yeah I never used anything other than smoke when I did bees years ago. I'm just trying to catch up on new products and easier ways to do bees again.
    When I did feral hives years ago I discovered after smoking, chain sawing and drumming the bees got very docile after going thru all that. It was like they just surrendered!!
    The most aggressive bees were the ones in wide open combs hanging from hollow tree limbs. Must have been thousands of guard bees. There was no back of the hive. It was 360 degrees guard bees.
    Dakine guy

5. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Do you have any plans for a bee vac?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

7. Dakine

Dakine New Member

SUPER clean work on building the vac!
    Does it matter if the Vac hose from the vac to the box is smaller than the on you get the bees with???
    I'd think it would.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It won't matter, as long as you have a way to control the power of the vac. The little yellow box in the pics is a router control. It is a rheostat that can be turned up or down. There are also screened holes in the side of the box that can be taped closed or opened to control the suction.

9. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I must be color blind as I can't read lime green.
    Had to have my daughter read it for.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Here is a video I made to show a different type of bee vac. This is the robo style vac.

[video=youtube;922gkjV3iqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=922gkjV3iqA&context=C4344364ADvjVQa1PpcFOp x5kJSSEIZiZ6wwlTR1nFKmpK0KDT59E=[/video]