sugar

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, May 28, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

When getting my bees they had TONS of sugar for sale. They said they sell a lot of it. 35 cents per pound. I found out when I got home it has small bits of candy in it and it's granulated but finer. Not powder! When 1:1 with water is turned a brownish red. Dug up some reviews on their sugar and there are many beekeepers that use it, like it and buy by the pallet full. Pros? cons? where could this possibly come from? I don't think it is to coat candy cause it is too course, maybe something else?

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I'm confused. Who is "they"? Finely granulated sugar is nothing to be concerned about. Bakers use finely ground sugar all the time. The brownish red color is something I've not seen before. Is it sugar cane sugar? Or a beet sugar? Or a sweet sorghum sugar? Possibly it is a sugar byproduct? Or a sugar that has not been fully processed like we would use to cook with. Can you describe the "small bits of candy"? Is it just caked sugar because of some moisture in it?

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

They are the bee suppliers I bought my hives and bees from. I'm not worried about the fine granulated sugar. The color is coming from the fine bits of actual hard candy. It is some sort of byproduct from a candy factory. Seems they sell it by the truck loads.

4. pturley

pturley New Member

It is all the sugar removed from the processing machinery after a tear-down and clean up. They cannot sell it as food grade as it is from outside the controlled process line (stuck to machinery, coating the inside walls of vessels and containers).

I wouldn't have any concerns for use as feed.

5. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Note: I am biased towards natural and organic keeping as well as natural and organic living and eating personally.

I guess when it comes to candy-chunk filled sugar that turns red...would you eat it? Would you use it in your home to bake with or stir into sweet tea?

I don't put anything into my hives, or feed my bees, anything that I wouldn't eat myself.

Also, I don't know how you feel about feeding high fructose corn syrup to bees, but I imagine anything that was byproduct from a candy factor is going to consist of an awful lot of it, especially if this is ground up bits of hard candy.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I actually put some in my tea. Taste pretty good! Just a hint of peppermint. lol They sell it by the pallet full to other beekeeps. Pturley I think you are right on this.

7. pturley

pturley New Member

You should see the stuff left behind in a frozen pizza factory after a production run! I did time in one (felt like it anyway) when I was 19 or so.

I learned quickly that even if it meant wearing Sorel boots, ski gloves and full winter gear on a 90 degree July day, it was important to get as much debris out of the three story freezer column (@ -30F) before they warmed it up for a full wash-down... It's better to chip off a frozen icicle of goo than it is to allow it to thaw, then scoop it out as mud.

8. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Crazy8, I have many friends that drive up from southeastern Indiana to buy this stuff from Apple Blossom and they have never had any problems. Use it and enjoy my friend.:smile:

Jim

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

spillage I would guess?

pros???? at 35 cents how many more pros do you need???

cons??? the contact must be 1000 miles away?

can you share contact information? Kelleys is on the same route.... correct?

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

http://www.abhoneyfarm.com/

they are in Star City, Indiana

11. Omie

Omie New Member

Likely contains high amounts of corn syrup, artificial colorings and flavorings, and possibly machinery oil, cleaning product, or lubricants. Yuk, no thanks, I wouldn't feed it to any of my bees if I wanted to eat honey from them. You reap what you sow, is my opinion.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I imagine the sugar is taken before the cleaning products are used. As for the machine oil and lubricants, think vegetable oil. Only food grade oils and lubricants are used in food mfg. machinery. Corn syrup, coloring, and flavoring are picked up daily from soda cans, candy wrappers, ETC. by the bees. I wouldn't hesitate to use the stuff.

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Can't bee that bad.
    I see bees drinking out of the horse manure puddles and who knows what else...sipping the neighbors weed b gone enhanced clover, Round-up roses, and all the Ortho ornamentals within a 3 mile radius.

We reap what our neighbors sow.

14. bamabww

bamabww New Member

That about half price compared to Wal Mart. I'd try it if I was close enough to pick it up. Plus now it's 34 cents a pound according to their website.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

dang I have already saved a penny!

and I am with Iddee here on whether I would have any qualms about using this as feed.

it does sound like this stuff is pretty much sucrose which for me is a definite plus high fructose corn syrup.

16. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I emailed them. They said it is granulated sugar with bits of candy (Small). Duh! They can't keep enough of it in stock. Spring they sell 10,000 + lbs. to beekeeps. when I got there they just unloaded 1700 lbs. Oh, wait I'll post the email.

Dear Brett, Great to hear you made it safely. The sugar is granulated and does turn a reddish color. Reminds me of kool-aid, it does have little particals of candy in it the bees will eat it just the same. Happy beekeeping, Thanks, Carrie Hoffman d/b/a Apple Blossom Honey Farm LLC 866-956-2337

17. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Bee's seem more sluggish to get out there and do their job. Not like my swarm. The HTF with the gal. jug are mostly empty this evening on both hives. Should I keep feeding? How about the swarm?