Suggestions on ants.

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Yankee11, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Dont have a bad problem yet with ants but I do see them on the hives. I currently just have the hives sitting on blocks. I am going to be building stands for the hives.

I am interested in what other folks do to help with ant problems.

I am currently building all new bottom boards for mites and SHB. I am building the freeman bottom board(traps).
    He lost hives to shb but has not had a problem since he designed these bottom boards.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just put a couple of hives in a new yard a couple of days ago and I noticed quite a few ants as well. When I mentioned it to the owner of the property (nice lady) she asked what she could do. She wants to have her property certified organic eventually so I suggested cinnamon sprinkled around the hives (something I read here and thought might be worth a try) She ran to her house and came back with a big jar so I tried that. Too early to tell but I am interested to see if it helps.

3. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I put vaseline on the legs of my hive stands. Stops 100% of the small sugar ants. While I still see a few black ants cross it from time to time, it seems to have cut their numbers down enough to where the bees can handle any strays that cross over.

4. BeeG

BeeG New Member

I tried cinnamon last year. It made my hives smell like cinnamon long after it was gone. I had one small super with drawn frame I putaway for winter. when I brought it out this spring it still smelled of cinnamon. I like cinnamon but not sure if I want cinnamon honey. I did harvest honey from that super in June. the cinnamon smell was gone. I also did not seea single dent in my ant population. I am starting to think the battle of theants is futile. I have even gone to poison them, and tried an old trick borax which I think they just take a bath in, after they ate and grew off of the baitof those little ant traps. These Missouri ants are just tuff. Just like all theother Missouri critters. They have squirrel around here on steroids, or maybethey are bionic. Right now I have some ant killer sprinkled in a perimeteraround the hives I shoulda tried andro . The ants seem to only get in the weaker hives, my bigger hives keep them out. I started to have a yellow jacket issue ,a trap did wonders. I hope the environment makes me as tough as all the critters growing around here. I will surely live past 100

ps the cinnamon was sprinkled outside of my hives not inside. I really do not know how it got in there

5. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Try some fine grits on the inner cover. Takes a while but it works. Sometimes their nest is between the metal and the wood on the tele top. In that case we change tops and emege the one with the ants in water. For chemicals under hives bifen works well. It is like a sand grain. Be careful with anything put on the ground as the bees get water (dew) from grass, etc. from around the hive

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If You have 4 legged hive stands set the legs in cans and put motor oil in them, like the castle mote effect to stop evading army's. Keep in mind 1 blade of grass touching the hive gives the ants a bridge.

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

You are right about a blade of grass, don't know how they can find one so fast, have to check every moring pulling the dang weeds away from the bee hive stands and in front of hive.

kebee

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

So far my best method has been to spray Black Flag Ant and Roach killer around perimeter of the bottom deep and the bottom board and all over the contact points where the bottom board sits on the 4 x 4 timbers I use as a stand. I don't spray it on the entrance / landing site of the bottom board. I know it will kill the bees as well but it stopped an ant problem I was having the very day I tried it out of desperation.
    Spray it in the late afternoon or at night when fewer bees will be apt to investigate.