Summer bee packages

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by afterburn001, Jun 24, 2011.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Silly question I'm sure...
    What is the reason for the bee suppliers not selling bees after spring? The reason I ask is: we have one hive that the queen failed in. We replaced her but it would be nice to give the population a boost without robbing from the other hive.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

there are several reasons. Heat of the summer is hard on them shipping. Another is it gives them to short a time to get built up and ready for winter. I would swapout the location of the 2 hives to equal out the bees this will give both hives a better chance to get thru winter. I always suggest the first year of a hive just try to get them established then you can hopefully have a stong healthy hive going into spring

3. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Thanks Riverrat. I thought those might be the reasons, I just wish they sold booster packages (if that makes sense). I have had people tell me to put a frame of brood from the healthy hive to the weaker but I am reluctant to do anything to my healthy hive. As far as performing, hive #2 is smoking hive #1. If the first hive does not look like it will survive I think I'll just combine them.

Just thinking out loud...

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if you have a viable queen in both hives. I would switch the hives around with each other in the middle of the afternoon. The foragers will come back to a different hive. It will balance out the numbers in each hive and still have time for both to build up going into winter. If in the fall it doesnt look like the one is going to make it combine and then split back to 2 in the spring

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

to add a bit of elaboration to riverrats explanation shaking (knocking, bumping) bees off of brood to place into those little wire mesh boxes is about a two step process (off the comb and into the shaker box and then from the shaker box into those packages) which are both hot processes (man and bees). each of these steps plus each leg in the transportation risk overheating which is really an ugly thing to witness but basically comes down too once they are cooked they are most definitely done. in addition a lot of packages are produced in the south at a time when the brood coming on will quickly replace the bees harvested so no real harm is done to the hive. this harvest of adult bees is also done at such a time when there will be less and less nectar for the next wave of bees to harvest.. contrast this with northern bee keeping where removing the bees (almost anytime during the season) will first directly effect this years honey production and will also likely effect the hive's winter survivability.

6. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Good info, thanks!
    I sure wish we had some heat to worry about. We have had the coldest spring on record and our summer had started out cool as well. We are looking at a whopping 67 degrees for a high today. :(