summer is almost gone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mama Beek, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Every year about this time I started dreading the end of summer. The garden has given in to the heat, the kids are suntanned, and I could spend all day cleaning dust off of fan blades and not keep up!

So how has everyone's summer been? How are your bees? How did you do this summer compared to your plans at the beginning of the year?

Our summer definitely did NOT go as planned! We spent most of June in Missouri with family members mourning other family members...it's sad, but it happens and life goes on somehow. We got most of the stuff at home caught up and were doing very well with our bees this year...all the way up until Baby Beek and I both woke up one morning with bad headaches and high fevers.

We have both been terribly ill for the past 5 weeks. The doctors are still running tests but have finally narrowed it down to a set of viruses that are "vector borne". There is one other person in the county we live in with the same illness who isn't doing as well as BB and I are doing. This "bug" has pretty much stolen the last week of July and the whole month of August from us. We have managed to get out into the bee yards twice since we've been sick to check on things and feed our hives that were weak, but other than that we haven't gotten to do any of what we had planned.

I want to hear how y'all did this summer!! Being stuck inside has made us both extremely curious about all of the stuff other folks are doing....so fill us in!!

p.s. WBB has not been spending much time online at all, but she has been getting better these last few days so I'm sure she will be on soon.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, those sand hills are not healthy. You need to move to somewhere they have real dirt. :p :yahoo:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do hope you and family return to good health before the summer ends. it has been an extremely long and hot summer here and no rain for the past year has made this year a long hot marathon (with the finish line not yet in sight). at this point in the race I am holding up pretty well but I do look forward to the day time temperature falling below 100 sometime in the near future.

say hello to family for me...

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

What Tec said. Wife and I hope all y'll are feeling better soon.

Been hot here, have had 69 days above 100 and 61 days of "official" summer. :D Last rain was 2 months ago.

Bought a brand new mower the middle of June and have used it once. I guess that's the good part of the heat and drought.

Please take care of yourselves and get better soon. :beg:

Walt

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Gee Mama Beek,
    That doesn't seem like much fun. I really hope you are on the mend and are well soon.

Yeah, I guess Summer is winding down here. Early honey crop has been poor, only about 10 lbs per colony. From the three yards I went thru yesterday, the later crop should be a better average. I hope so, because I need 60 lbs per colony to keep up w/ sales.

On the family front our oldest Son graduated MI School after being away from his family for 4 months. His second son came right close to the end of that time too. Now he is off to six more weeks of more training. And, oh yeah, he reupped. All of this makes his situation more stable, while the Military is returning to Pre-War Status.

Our middle child is back to college after wintering in Fl and summering in VA working on horse farms as a Stable Manager.

Our youngest spent 6 weeks at Hockey Camp near Toronto and will be leaving at the end of this week for Cape Cod, to spend the next 7 months as part of a Hockey Development Team. Part of the Internation Junior Hockey Association. He is sixteen and will be attending school there too.

So, the nest is going to be quite empty soon. Though our youngest will return in March to finish the school year here.

I'm hoping for a decent crop of honey, healthy bees, no problems going south and continued good health for my kids and their parents. I wish the same for you too.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Tec, thanks for the well wishes, the family says "Hey Tecumseh". We've been praying and hoping that y'all get out of the drought and the temps come down ...I'm sure it's been a terribly difficult year for y'all.

WaltB, thanks to you and your Mrs. I guess your right on the mowing, but I hate to think of what the drought and heat have cost folks there this year. We'll just keep on praying...

Mark, thanks to you also. I hate to hear that your honey crop was less than expected! Glad to hear that things are going well with your family, what an exciting opportunity for your son. Empty nest :cry: they grow up and go away far too quickly imho. I hope the rest of the year goes smoothly for you and your honey crop picks up.

Iddee....I'm pretty sure that ticks and mosquitoes live just as well where there is real dirt as they do here, but sometimes I do think this place has some strange curse on it.

wishing everyone happy days, healthy bees, and abundant honey!

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Cruel joke by Mother Nature tonight.

We got 4 out of 5: We had gusty winds, smell of rain, 15 degree temperature drop (to 87), and thunder. The only thing we didn't get was the moisture. :cry:

It will come, and I shall welcome it!

Walt

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

we got a bit of a rain here. heavy rains generally but not so much here at the house. it looked like the line of showers that was moving southwest was a bit south of you Walt and stretched all the way to Houston.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

We are finaly getting some rain here in Florida :yahoo: ....an im glad because it cools it down....its been so dry here....more than that im ready for summer to be OVER....96* an 90% humidity gets old fast no matter where you live...in florida it seems like it never ends :cry: ....its always hot an humid and the air is thick....YUCK YUCK YUCK :( ....after 27 years working in the Florida sun i think i am qualified to say....HACKPOOIE ON SUMMER...BRING ON THE FALL ALREADY :beg:

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Mama Beek - I'm so sorry that you (plural) have been ill! Winters are so long up here that it seems like a crime to not be able to enjoy every day of the summer.

I've been reasonably healthy but too busy. Yesterday was a typical day at work, where I spent all day indoors, feeling chilled because of the AC, and when I finally left in the evening, I discovered it was a wonderful, sunny, warm day, and I missed it! (Too much AC is my pet peeve. I'm cold enough for 9 months... in summer I want to be hot!)

My gardens are a hopeless neglected disaster. Overgrown and weedy, but producing a few tomatoes and squash. Broccoli is not happy with the dryness. Bees are also neglected, and I think are overcrowded... need to put on another box before they swarm. My list of "must do" projects is largely untouched. *sigh*

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

tec, waltb & 2kd....glad to hear y'all finally got some rain!! Wish it had been more though :(

Hobie...all that excess busyness isn't good for you!! Take a break and enjoy a little bit of summer before it's all gone!

12. guyross

guyross New Member

I got started because my wife wanted a garden hive and the idea she and her brother would tend them because I didn't like bees. While attending class with her and her brother I found out what amazing beneficial creatures God has entrusted us with. We started with two Italian packages in March and to date for purchases of two more packages in April and two nucs in June we have 10 hives. How in the world this this happen? Oh did I mention the extractor. I admit it's me.

13. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

14. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

beekeeping is my only except to the "addiction is bad" rule! guyross....you are too funny, and quite a reminder of how much I hated bees before we got them.

It's all my daughters fault that I have this addiction now. She wanted the bees, she was supposed to take care of the bees. I was just her transportation :D