Super ABOVE inner board?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ScoobyDoBee, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

Did I make this up? Instead of using a hive top feeder to feed my bees sugar water, I took 8 frames of excess nectar mostly, but also some pollen and capped honey, and put ABOVE an inner cover in an 8-frame super. I did that last week and didn't want to go in hive again till next week, just to give them a rest from me.

I'm already in my winter box config below the inner board, where I put as much as I could find of the capped honey; the rest was nectar and pollen.

Looked to me like they are building out pretty white capped honey in one frame (above), but it's possible I put a frame in with that already in place.

Is this config okay, or should I just remove it?

Thanks!

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

OK, stupid question, but why would you put anything above an inner cover other than a telescoping top cover? I may have mis-read your post, or am totally stupid (I've been accused of that) but am still wondering.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Normally they will move the honey down from a super above the inner cover. Give them another few days.

PS. Be VERY sure the tele. cover fits tight on the super or the whole neighborhood will be feasting on it.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like iddee said,but if you want them to move it down faster,scrape the cappings open. Jack

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I learned something new. Thanks guys.

6. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

Yay - I'm glad I didn't make that up!

So, iddee, sounds like you are saying if they don't move it down in a short period of time I should remove it?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If they abandon it, yes. Pests will destroy it.