Super glue?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dakine, May 9, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Is it OK to use C/A super glue inside. I have LOTS left over from my wood working and it would be a lot easier than nails to use putting frames together.

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Not sure if it would be strong enough by itself. I've never tried any type glue without also using nails when putting hive bodies together. Good luck.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like to use tite bond III, that stuff will hold it all together and waterproof to boot

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I use tite bond also and 4 staples then 8-18 gauge nails, 2 in each corner, takes more time but worth the effort in the long run when trying to pry that frame out of all that bee glue :lol:

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

The super glue or CA, as it is sometimes called, will definitely hold the wood together without nails as long as it "kicks off" properly. The wood will tear apart before the glue gives. It also needs a very flush mating of two surfaces to work the best, though there is a gel-type super glue now that might do a little gap filling. I have no idea about whether it's "food safe" or not, though. As nasty as the vapor is when it kicks off it makes me hesitant to say it's safe, but... ????

There's something else about using CA for frames. You're going to have to be sure the frame is tight and square before the CA kicks...that might get to be an interesting chore. I find myself nudging the frames a little more into square after I've glued (TBIII) and stapled/nailed (I use nails on the bottom bars)...a slower acting glue allows me leeway to do this easily.

But, from what I read in your original post you have a good amount of CA (it's not cheap) and you are more interested in the health aspects of using CA rather than the construction aspects of using it, correct? Seriously, if a situation did not call for CA I would try to avoid it due to the possibility of acquiring an allergy to it or coming down with a CA flu. It's been a few years since I used it so they may have changed it's formula to be more "health friendly"....Titebond III and nails have never made me feel like I might be getting sick from smelling the vapors.

Sorry for rattling on...

Best wishes,

Ed

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Zookeep, do I understand this right...you put a staple in each corner of the frame to hold the pieces together at the beginning of assembly and then come back with two nails in each corner? Do you shoot a nail or staple through the end bar and into the top bar? I use 1" staples but did not have good luck on stapling the grooved bottom bars on so I attach each end of them using two 1" frame nails by hand and hammer.

Ed

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Super Glue should not be used around food- it contains toxic chemicals. I've read that it is not good to use Super Glue inside a hive- either because of eating the honey or for bee health. But of course the ultimate decision is yours, it's your hive and your honey.

Tite-Bond II is a water resistant wood glue and is much more benign, chemical wise. (TiteBond I is not water resistant). Using Titebond II along with nails or staples should be plenty strong unless you pull your frames up with a tire iron.
    I myself loosen all the frame topbars from each other by breaking the propolis seal sideways with my hive tool before I lift any frame up. Breaking the seal before pulling up the frames makes it easy and you won't pull the top bar up and off by force.

8. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Gel super glue with activator works fine and is easy.
    I'm more concerned about the health factor.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

2nd what g3 and zookeep said about the tite bond, NAILS, what are those?:lol:
    i use trim head screws, or exterior screws to assemble equipment.

10. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Don't screws split the wood?

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

predrill, and trim head screws work very well without pre-drilling but i do anyway, advantage of nail in a screw. smaller head and narrower.

then use titebond glue.

12. kebee

kebee Active Member

I use Titebond II and screws, fasten the boxs up good and tight.

kebee