Super Removal the Michael Bush Way (Hobby/Sideliner)

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ibeelearning, May 20, 2016.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

After years of struggling with fume board$, nasty compounds, bee escapes, compressed air, brushing & sprint, etc., I finally tried a Michael Bush method:

Take the honey super off and set it on its end on a pallet within the bee yard. Walk away overnight. Recover it early the next morning before the sun is up and the bees fly.

Tried it with the first 5 supers yesterday evening/this morning. 99% of the bees had returned to their hives for the night and the remaining girls had partied so hard the night before that they did not put up much of a fight... bushed them off and put the frames in the truck.

Granted, these were in-town hives behind my office, and I probably won't be comfortable doing this in my outlying bee yards... I'd have nightmares of critters, vandals, and thieves. But maybe not. I might think about a pallet to build a rough (all my carpentry is comically rough) chicken wire cage and set it on posts and fillable cans (for ants).

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

that is a good idea. I usually don't harvest full boxes so I take an empty nuc or medium on a same size board (just a piece of plywood cut to hive size) and move the frames I want into it, put a telescoping cover on, move it to some strategically positioned place and I rarely have more than half a dozen bees. But the sitting it on end is different.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Some put the super on the top of the hive and pick it up the next morning. I feel like it sometimes causes robbing. I'll stick with the blower.