Supercedure question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

One of my experimental nucs has decided to supercede their queen.
    There is a nice tight pattern of drone brood on the center 3 frames so it looks like she was a drone layer.

That being said there is a really nice looong queen cell with a larva inside that is close to being capped. If the original queen was a drone layer will the workers try to make a queen out of a drone larva or have they found a female larva and made use of it?

I know time will tell but I wanted to see if anyone knew.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Time is the only way to tell, as they will use a drone egg in the absence of a fertilized one.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

So they may very well be raising a "queen".

What a drag :cool:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

in the most extreme case they will pull a queen cell from a cell of pollen. the outcome of this I would guess is fairly obvious. I at the least would add a frame of eggs and young larvae and knock down the existing cell. as the season progress towards a close about the only option is to stack on an existing hive to protect the equipment.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Turns out the old queen was still in there. She was accidentally hatched on July 6th. It was in a hive that recently swarmed and the hive had a newly mated queen that we spotted so we stuck the cell in the nuc but it didn't hatch on hatch day or the day after so my wife opened the cell to see what stage the larva stopped growing/died. Out crawled a new queen. We thought it was a dud queen cell. She got mated and while she layed some workers most are drones. I sent her packing yesterday and gave the hive a frame of eggs. Kind of late here but we'll see what becomes of it.