Supersedure Cell?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by senilking, Mar 7, 2014.

1. senilking

senilking New Member

Ok, I finished my inspection of my second hive. 6 of the 10 frames in the top deep were laid with eggs and larvae of all ages. I've had dry sugar for them for the past month and they've been eating it up. Not much in the way of honey on solid frames, maybe one side of frame worth of capped and 1 frame of uncapped. Maybe a frame worth of pollen, and plus whatever honey and pollen were around the brood.

I found a supersedure cup in the middle of one of the bottom frames. There were very few eggs in the bottom deep though. Why did they not build it in the top, and am I right in assuming it's supersedure instead of swarm? The top frame was full of bees, but I never saw the queen, and I was trying to look. The bottom was maybe 1/4 full. I don't think I got pictures of the cup, one of my sweet girls found a way up my pants leg and I was moving a little faster at that time, lol. They got a little mad by the end of the inspection, but I completely replace the whole hive except 10 deep frames, and had to remove a lot of extra comb from this one so I don't blame them. They always seem to after I kill one or two.

On both hives, I've taken and combined both deeps in the first deep and replaced the second with a medium. I'd like to go to all mediums. I guess I need to watch the second hive close, and stack another medium if they get done pulling the first medium. I wasn't expecting them to build up that quick, the other one is being kind of slow, but it's only my second year and first with overwintered colonies.

2. senilking

senilking New Member

Oh, and it was my first time seeing new bees emerging. I saw a picture of it the other day and was thinking I wish I could see it once. And then, there they were, chewing their way out.

And I found the cell. I just got lucky it just happened to be on the same frame as the emerging bees. The cell is just right of the sun spot in the center of the picture, and the emerging bees are about 3 inches below that. I'm holding the frame sideways.

IMG_7336.jpg

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not certain if you are seeing a queen cell or a queen cell cup???? A queen cell cup means nothing but a (one or perhaps 2) queen cell at this time of year typically means the old queen played out during the winter.