supersedure cell???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gator_56, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I did a hive inspection today and found these guys hanging around... are they supersedure cells?

2013-03-28_13-23-32_230.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Swarm cells!
    Hard to tell by the picture but it looks like a couple haven't yet hatched, and a couple look like they've been chewed through the sides.
    Did you see any eggs or larvae?

3. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

No, but to be honest, i wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway.

Is it to late or can I stop them swarming?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

By the look of those cells, I'd say they've already swarmed. :sad:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what perry said....swarm cells.
    here is a great pdf on queen cell identification, go to post#1;
    "This is a link to a pdf file to help you identify what type of queen cell you have on your frames, color photographs, where they are located, why they are there, with descriptions, differences, and recommended course of action /non action, and other informative valuable information:
    "

There are queen cells in my hive-what should i do?

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'd go for a walk to see if you can find them....

7. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I missed that the first time around good read ty:smile:

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I would think they have already swarmed judging from the fact that 1 of the cells or more appear to have been chewed open by a already emerged queen.
    Barry

9. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Yeah they did.... no queen! I wonder if it's to late to order a new queen? I would like to get a full Russian.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Bummer, when I saw them on the bottom of the frame vs. the middle somewhere, I remembered those are more likely swarm. I noticed your bees are nice and black. Is that the camera or are they really that black? I noticed I have a few that color in my feral hives.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

judging from the destroyed Queens cells I would think you have the Virgin Queen running around the inside the hive. If colony strength is good finding her could very difficult as she isn't a lot bigger then her workers and is probably typically a running nervous queen. If that is true any attempt it introduce another queen will fail until she is found. Either the young queen will fight, more probable the workers will kill any introduced queen.
    Barry

12. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

They are darker bees. The queen that just left me (come think of it this kind of like a divorce... she took half my stuff) was a Russian Hybrid.

13. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

How long should I wait before finding the new queen, killing her and introducing a new one?

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Personally I would wait a few weeks to a month let her get fat and sassy much easier to find. She will need about a week to 10 days to get well mated another week to really start laying. You may find you like what you see.
    Barry

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Personally, I'm with Barry on this one. Now that you have a virgin running around in there, let her do her thing. If she mates successfully you will have saved 20 or 30 dollars and not lost a lot of time versus a mated queen.

16. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

the other thing you need to remember about honeybees is that it is not magic is math. it will take at least a week for any new queen to start laying eggs prior to that 3 introductory days so that the parent colony doesn't kill her. so 10 days have gone by before the first egg is laid. it will be another 21 days before the first workers have hatched. now we're at 30 days for brand new workers not foragers. meanwhile your existing workforce is starting to die of and in some cases it could be quite substantial numbers. so you have to decide.
    Barry

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

What Barry says is definitely correct -- BUT, remember that, while your hive isn't raising brood, (waiting for the new queen to come into laying), since they have a queen, they will be very industrious and work hard collecting honey. If there is a honey flow going on, you could get a reasonable honey crop from the hive while it isn't using its resources replenishing its work force (=raising brood).

18. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Now I'm confused(not that this anything new with me and beekeeping) and concerned.... I can back from taking my son to school this AM and found good many of my bees bearding on the outside. If this were August I wouldn't think much of it but even here in Florida it was in the 60's this morning. Any thoughts on why they would be doing this and should be concerned?

2013-04-05_08-09-52_958.jpg

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Could be they are crowded and you haven't expanded the hive according to their needs. They might also be in need of more ventillation.

20. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well down here in Florida things to get off start I don't know if you're working double brood chambers or not but if you have not you should to avoid brood chamber congestion which actually contribute quite a bit to swarming issues.
    Barry