suprised by first inspection

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by oblib, Apr 13, 2012.

1. oblib

oblib New Member

I hived ten packages last friday. Today went in to see how they were progressing. Only got thru four before a thunderstorm rolled in and stopped for the day. None of the four has taken much of the syrup I had on them(less than a quart each). Two seemed ok on drawing comb, one had very little drawn and one had drawn no comb at all.

The one that drew no comb is really troubling. I was unable to find the queen but could have missed her. Should I go in again and try harder? Just give them more time to get started? If I should wait , how long until I look again? If they not gonna start then I should prob combine and get some use out of them. ​

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I didn't find my queens the first inspection but confirmed they were released. It bothered me for the next week not knowing. I am probably not experienced enough to give you great advice. But, I was talking to my mentor tonight about the progress of my hives and he made the comment that he doesn't get in his hives much after introducing them except to check on release of the queen. He said as long as he sees the bees bringing back pollen, he feels comfortable the queen is in there.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

What's your weather been like this past week? If daytime temps are 55F or below the bees may not touch the syrup. If it's been chilly the bees might be very slow and staying semi-clustered on the bare foundation in the hive. Here in NY it's been 50-55 daytime and 30's or 40's at night for the past week, and windy. Once temps are above 60 every day and sunny, the bees rev up their activity.
    Did your packages have caged queens? Did you see that the queens were released in the 4 hives you managed to look in today?

4. oblib

oblib New Member

Thry are on pf120's. All queens were released. Not seen much pollen coming into that hive that hasnt drwan any comb. In the last week we had 2 nights drop to 30 highs were 4 times in mid 60's 3 times in mid 50's. gonna rain now for 3 or 4 days with highs in the upper 70's

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You aren't too far from us here in the Indy area...looking at the same weather here too....I bet they go through the syrup in our hives this weekend staying dry inside....

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    None of the four has taken much of the syrup

tecumseh:
    this thread already sounds a bit strange. packages with new queens on foundation and they are not taking up any syrup??? what kind of feeder are you using?

7. oblib

oblib New Member

1 gallon ziplock bags with 2 slits about 2in long sitting right on the top bars. And yeah thats seemed very different from what I had read should happen. I also have HBH in the syrup. Hope for some big enough breaks in the rain today that I can get in the other 6 and see if they are taking the syrup.

8. oblib

oblib New Member

After being cooped up inside all day yesterday in by heavy rain, me and the bees, went out this morning and the hive with no comb on friday is now bringing in tons of pollen.:smile: They must have drwan some while it was raining.

All 10 hives are working hard today. Didn't think they would be flying at all as its windy as all get out, 25mph gusting to 30. I guess they want to take advantage of the warmest weather we have had since they were installed.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

I suspect they'll be just fine. Cool weather means slow bees.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

oblib...I wondered the same thing the other day when the rain kept them in all day. I figure they would have more time in there fixing things up...I mean, that's what my queen bee makes me do when it's raining outside..:wink: