Sure hope my bees are ok.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Every time I get a day off it is too cold to open the hives. I've been getting in from work after dark, and I'm not going there either. I was off on Sunday, but headed for a plant swap and didn't have the dexterity to look in the hives, I sprained my thumb Saturday. (they are not supposed to hold most of a person's weight, not really)

I went from summer lids with jar feeders on top back to winter telescoping lids with deep frame feeders a couple of weeks ago when these new freezes started rolling in. I should write these things down, not sure when I did it, but it was after the goat died and before the current run of busyness got rolling....

I feel like last week was one really super long day. Did bookkeeping today, more to do but better. Off again tomorrow. High of 60, not warm enough for really deep inspections.

I see lots of bees on hive 2 (they made their own queen, maybe that worked out well) and some bees on everyone else, so I guess they are ok.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It can be frustrating. Just remember, they have survived a long time without us. :wink:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"sure hope my bees are ok"

me too gypsi, thinking the same thing, i mean my bees!....:lol: uh, yours too :grin:
    "I see lots of bees on hive 2 (they made their own queen, maybe that worked out well) and some bees on everyone else, so I guess they are ok."

it's when you stop seeing bees, you get that sinking feeling.

4. Lburou

Lburou Member

You are right Gypsi, the weather has been all over the thermometer in our corner of Texas in the past month. Three or four days ago it was nearly 90 degrees F in my back yard and last night was 37. Seems like the temperature fluctuations have been going on for several weeks. A couple mornings this week I've seen brood that had chilled and then been put out on the front porch. Only a problem in the smaller hives. I'm looking forward to the warmer (not hotter) days ahead of us.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

they tell me Gypsi that eventually spring will get here. but as my man Bob wrote some time ago.... 'you don't need a weather man to tell ya' which way the wind blows'.