Surprise,Surprise

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 22, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I inspected 12 of my 25 hives 60 miles north of home (in Charla's country). 11 of them were booming and some already had drones, i took supers of honey with me and only put extra stores on one. I should have taken empty supers because four of them were almost out of room, i did reverse the brood chambers and changed out the old rotten boxes for new.(temp. was in the eighties) This kind of build up doesn't start around here usually till 2nd week of April, and with all the late cold weather and snow we've been having, the queen had to be laying through it (7 to 8 frames of brood). :confused: Some that i put raw sugar on had ate all the sugar and ate the paper too? and still had 40 to 50lbs. of honey on them. (figure that??).The weather has been colder up there, than here at home and their doing better there than here.I have 10 queens coming the frist week of April, so i'm going to be in good shape for splits. :thumbsup: Jack

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

good news glad to hear they are booming. I was going to run hives today but the wind is blowing like crazy. So hopefully tomorrw it will let up

3. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Jack I only have 3 and 4 frames of brood. No drones yet. But my bees had been taking sugar before honey stores in some of the hives too. I figure whatever makes them happy.

4. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Way to go there neighbor! We have had a COLD winter and now that spring has got here it seems the bees are building up like crazy down here in AR.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With a foot of snow in the forecast, don't tell our PA. and NY. members spring is here. They just may shoot you. :eek:

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Nah. At these temps, your finger sticks to the trigger. (8 degrees this morning! Dang that big refrigerator we call Lake Erie!)

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I thought spring had sprung here, but now their saying snow flurries this afternoon or tomorrow. :shock: With highs in the fourties and low fifties all next week. Hope i don't have to call Drapers Bee Co. and tell them to hold off shipping my 10 queens for a week or two. :beg: Jack

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

spring sprung here dandelions are blooming along with bradford pear and the maples trees. that is until last evening just after supper we got a hail storm with marble size hail that left about an inch of hail on the ground along with all the blooms.