Suzy and John's cut out 8-14-11

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Aug 17, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nice cut out that was at eye level. The home owners were a couple of real nice folks. Suzy had done her research on the internet and knew quit a bit about bees and her husband John was interested in them but allergic too bee stings.

[attachment=7:yzxhpoge]100_2000.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    Making the first cut into the siding, I know there will be a 2 x 12 joist right under it.

[attachment=6:yzxhpoge]100_2002.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    The 2 x 12 and the entrance to the hive. A couple of cuts with the saws all to cut the nails in half and the board can easily be removed.

[attachment=5:yzxhpoge]100_2003.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    The hive, about a dozen or so combs that will fit nicely into deep frames. the bees started out very gentle and then the mood shifted just a little and had to suit up.

[attachment=4:yzxhpoge]100_2009.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    A little crowd control with the bee vac.

[attachment=3:yzxhpoge]100_2027.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    Rubber banding the brood comb into a deep frame.

[attachment=2:yzxhpoge]100_2054.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    Having a look for the queen, not here on this comb.

[attachment=1:yzxhpoge]100_2063.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    Found her walking around in the empty cavity. After cutting out all of the combs, I placed a small piece of comb (about the size of your hand back into the corner and the queen came out of hiding after a few minutes.

[attachment=0:yzxhpoge]100B2041.JPG[/attachment:yzxhpoge]
    A bucket of water to keep the sticky honey off of your hands is a must have.

Attached Files:

2. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Great pics! In the first picture, is that the entrance the bee's were using down in the lower right hand corner just to the left of the brick column?

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes Barry that was the entrance, a hole about 2" x 3". After I had nailed the 2 x 12 back in place a piece of 1/8" hardware cloth was cut and laid in place then silicon caulk used to seal everything up. Would have to give the credit for the pics to my wife, she is for the most part fearless until one gets into her hair :lol:

[attachment=0:2j4vsty0]100_2051.JPG[/attachment:2j4vsty0]
    That left eye took three good hits and was starting to swell up a bit :lol: :lol:

Attached Files:

4. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member