Swamp Gumbo

Discussion in 'Dinner Recipes' started by Hog Wild, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

2 lb. Raw shrimp, peeled
    2 lb. Crab Meat or all you can afford
    2 lb. Alligator Meat, again or all you can afford-Note: if not available use other meat: chicken, possum, coon or whatever floats your boat
    2 Tbsp. Olive oil
    2 Tbsp. Flour
    3 c. okra chopped
    2 c. corn (optional)
    2 onions chopped
    2can tomatoes
    2 qt. Water (measure it)
    1 pinch pepper
    3 large pods garlic
    4 bay leaves
    Homemade Muscadine wine :thumbsup:
    Tabasco (on the side)

Any other spices that smell like gumbo

First you start sippin’ the wine. Second you make a da roux. Mix flour and oil in your heavy saucepan. Stir constantly over medium high heat until it is brown. If you think you burned it, you did. Start over. Flour and oil is cheap, shrimp are not. Add shrimp; keep stirring. After shrimp have just started to cook, and all the roux is attached to the shrimp, set shrimp aside. Brown crab meat in skillet with olive oil and repeat with gator, marry it all
    Add a little more oil to your saucepan, and add onions and chopped garlic. Stir over medium heat for a few minutes, then add okra/corn. Cook until onions just start to clear.
    Using your big pot, with a thick bottom, add all ingredients, but hold back about 1/2 qt of water, and wait a while on salt and most of the spices. Remember, gumbo is NOT soup. Once the okra kicks in it will thicken, and get that rich slimy gumbo texture. Then add a little more water if it needs it. As it cooks, add a little pepper, and some salt.
    Cook slowly until you just have to have some.

You know what to do with the rice!

Creole food is spicy not necessarily just hot. Add a little of all kinds of spices if you want, but let individuals kick in the hot sauce.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2 "what size" cans tomatoes. We can pints and quarts.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I use pints for this size batch. It will feed about 6 folks and lif you're lucky leave a little for lunch the next day.

4. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

Not many alligators here in CT, but maybe I could poach a snapping turtle.... or just use chicken.

Sounds great. I'll do it this summer after I catch a bunch of blue crabs.

5. tommyt

tommyt New Member

Or 1 or 2 Cajuns :D

Tommyt

6. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

TommyT, Just trying to be politically correct- I have dined with a few Cajun's and you are correct but man the stories they can tell! They ain't lyin' either. :shock:

Brendantm130, Check out www.lacrawfish.com they will deliver direct to your door at their expense. Been getting gator and turtle meat from them for years. Straight from the real LA, Louisiana or arguably Lower Alabama both are mighty fine! :drinks:

7. Marbees

Marbees Member

Being a northerner I'm not familiar with Creole food, but the way you wrote this, man I could smell it through my laptop screen.
    Had to thank you for that.
    Part I really liked Cook slowly until you just have to have some. :thumbsup:

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Hey Hog Wild! Whens dinner! Set me a plate!

9. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Crazy8-This particular recipe is a once a year deal, very costly. However we do substitute the high end ingredients quite often with deer, duck, goose, wild turkey, quail and rabbit 3 to 4 times a year. Mostly during hunting season, c'mon down!

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member