Swarm #2 For Me in Less Than Two Weeks!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Fredo Batali, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

Tuesday before last, my wife called me on my way home from work saying the neighbor had come down and told her there was a swarm up at "Charlie's" (a deceased friend). I told her to grab the hive body etc. (I keep one ready) and take it up and I would be there in about 45 minutes. I got there and found a large cluster hanging from a branch on the walnut tree. I got them in the hive and felt pretty good (only stung once). I checked on them yesterday and they are doing great. Making comb and settling into their new home. I went up today to check my other hive (a swarm from last Spring that has overwintered really well). I noticed bee activity about 25 feet from the new hive, behind an old car covered with a tarp, (the neighbors treasure). I saw a medium size cluster on the side of a trailer covered with a yelow tarp. I got my last hive body (unpainted) and frames and got the girls in. I moved them closer to my house and they are busy visiting the blackberrys close by and already settling in. I feel very blessed to have captured two swarms in such a short time. My wife will be purchasing a couple of hive bodies, frames, etc. tomorrow so I can get another hive on standby.

De Oppresso Liber

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

welcome to the forum, and congradulations on your swarms, and how well they are doing.
    Barry

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Glad to hear about the swarms but sorry to hear that one of the gilrs didn't read up on her swarming instructions--they're not supposed to sting.
    Hope they stock up well in time for the winter.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Two catch's in a couple of days makes for a pretty good week. :thumbsup:

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

regarding the stinging, swarms usually are quite passive, but if they have been there several hours or a day or so, mood gets quite a bit uglier---something else to consider and is another reason I carry a spray bottle of sugar syrup with me to swarm calls, spray them down to re-fill teh possibly empty honey stomach.
    Barry

6. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

Thanks for the replies and advice. I think I got stung because I was reaching to get ahold of the limb to steady it while I cut it. Must have inadvertently started to mash one of the girls. As for how they are doing, they appear to be doing really well. The swarm from two weeks ago is steady making comb and the foragers are really busy. The new hive is really getting busy and a lot of activity at the hive opening. I plan to open the hive next week and check their progress. Two catches in as many weeks is a blessing.

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome to the forum Fredo and congrats on the swarm catches...

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear you got them caught and put up.