Swarm 25 Feet Up - Done FromThe Ground

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by JL_COG, May 14, 2010.

1. JL_COG

JL_COG New Member

First of all a hearty thanks to Rob for his design. Our oldest hive keeps swarming. With two new empty hives left and a package due but late it was decided to try the newly built bee vac. The swarm was in very light branches over two stories up.A ladder would have been unsafe. Plan! Put a cigar roller handle on an extension paint roller handle and attach the vac hose to it, yeah :)
    The hose was only inch and a half but quite long and a few tiny holes.Two hive boxes (Warre) were between the vac top and bottom and seams had to be duct taped or not enough suction.My beek daughter and i took turns as it was tiring because the contraption barely reached.We got all but maybe a half dozen bees by letting them settle a few times and then let them settle in the vac. Vacuuming bees is a tad rough on them but we'll see how many expire and i'll post again. I'd have to declare the design of Rob's vac an overall success. Thank-you, Rob. My admonition to those planning to build a bee vac: Try to make accurate cuts with close tolerances to minimize suction loss. Best to all :) ... JL.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you did good, and kudos to the daughter beek for her help.

I have a robo design vac as well and it works very well. I think you will find very few dead bees. Duct tape goes a long ways in sealing up the leaks as well. I used foam weather stripping on the edges of the top and bottom to help seal it to the brood box.

Did you also make the cut out shim as well?

G3

3. JL_COG

JL_COG New Member

Thank-you. Daughter did the last bees. I would have not been as thorough probably.

Must have missed the 'cut out shim', What is that?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It is a shim or spacer that is 1.5 to 2 inches thick with a groove cut into three of the inside sides and a slot cut all the way through the fourth one. A piece of no. 8 hardware cloth is cut to slide in and out of the shim from the outside.

Now as you stack the bee vac..................bottom of the vac, deep box with foundation, cut out shim with screen, empty deep box, top of the vac (you can also wait to add the top empty deep after you have moved the vac and bees to their new location). After you are do your cut out the top of the vac can be removed and the frames with rubber banded comb in it can be installed in the top empty deep with out the bees flying out, install the top of the hive and pull the screen out of the shim to let the bees move up to the comb. I would suggest a few puffs of smoke to move the bees off of the screen so you do not roll them up when you pull the screen.

I made one late last year and have not had a chance to use it yet. :(

G3

Here is a link, just a little ways down you will see it

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

5. JL_COG

JL_COG New Member

Oh, yes, i see it now. Guess it wasn't relevant to my needs and my brain round-filed it. That would certainly work well when needed. We just put the whole captured swarm into a two box Warre with some lemon grass oil and wax rubbed on the pointed edges of the top bars. Waiting to see a mortality rate now. Happy beeking, JL.