Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Think I will stop for a bit. 4 swarms within 3 weeks. Been busy bulding brood boxes
and putting together frames.

Question,

How do I find out what kind of bees I have? Had a beekeeper ask me that question Saturday
and really didn't realize there were so many different kinds. So now I am curious as to what I have. I have
captured all 4 hives from the wild. 3 swarms and 1 cutout.

Can you even tell by looking at them?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Let one sting you. If the stinger stays, you have HONEY bees. If not, get rid of whatever it is you have. :D
With open mated queens, you have mutts.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cool, where in Arkansas do you have so many ferals? But yeah, like Iddee said, queens mate with so many drones that any swarms you catch, even if they are ferals, will have mated with drones from kept bees in the area. A certain amount of diversity can be good, but too much is no good at all. Hopefully yours have good local genetics that have adapted to local conditions and most of the dinks have been weeded out over the years...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
2ND What Iddee said. Even the bees that are being sold as a certain strain that are open bred are pretty much mutts:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Iddee...once again, I have gleaned some knowledge from you. As I resist itching my war wound from yesterday's swarm, I read this thinking I am relieved to have honey bees because the I had to remove the the stinger but I am glad that test sample is finished for now, :wink:!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, where in Arkansas do you have so many ferals? But yeah, like Iddee said, queens mate with so many drones that any swarms you catch, even if they are ferals, will have mated with drones from kept bees in the area. A certain amount of diversity can be good, but too much is no good at all. Hopefully yours have good local genetics that have adapted to local conditions and most of the dinks have been weeded out over the years...

Cabot, AR

Just north of Little Rock. I have 5 acres that is next to a huge Wildlife Managment Area. Holland Bottoms and
we are setting up the hives next to a 110 acre field that is nothing but wild flowers and clover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts