Swarm #4, and how can I find out what kind of bees I have?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, May 1, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok, Think I will stop for a bit. 4 swarms within 3 weeks. Been busy bulding brood boxes
    and putting together frames.

Question,

How do I find out what kind of bees I have? Had a beekeeper ask me that question Saturday
    and really didn't realize there were so many different kinds. So now I am curious as to what I have. I have
    captured all 4 hives from the wild. 3 swarms and 1 cutout.

Can you even tell by looking at them?

Thanks, Steve

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Let one sting you. If the stinger stays, you have HONEY bees. If not, get rid of whatever it is you have. :D
    With open mated queens, you have mutts.

3. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Cool, where in Arkansas do you have so many ferals? But yeah, like Iddee said, queens mate with so many drones that any swarms you catch, even if they are ferals, will have mated with drones from kept bees in the area. A certain amount of diversity can be good, but too much is no good at all. Hopefully yours have good local genetics that have adapted to local conditions and most of the dinks have been weeded out over the years...

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

2ND What Iddee said. Even the bees that are being sold as a certain strain that are open bred are pretty much mutts:thumbsup:

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Iddee...once again, I have gleaned some knowledge from you. As I resist itching my war wound from yesterday's swarm, I read this thinking I am relieved to have honey bees because the I had to remove the the stinger but I am glad that test sample is finished for now, :wink:!

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Cabot, AR

Just north of Little Rock. I have 5 acres that is next to a huge Wildlife Managment Area. Holland Bottoms and
    we are setting up the hives next to a 110 acre field that is nothing but wild flowers and clover.