Swarm #4 for me

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DLMKA, Jun 12, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Got a call last night about this one. 2 miles from my house, 5' off the ground. Stopped and got it on my way to work, friend came along and took some pics. I'm 90% sure this is an afterswarm with a virgin queen because I missed a swarm in the same bush about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to give them 2 weeks to draw out some frames and for the queen to mate and start laying. Once I see eggs and open brood they're going to get combined with a weak, queenless hive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339514706.394610.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339514775.917339.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339514856.644853.jpg

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good for you....I thought swarms were finished for a while here...but, maybe I can look forward to a couple more...you guys aren't that far away...

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I was kind of surprised but I've known of a few swarms collected in the last week or two around here. We've still got a decent clover flow going on because of some timely rains. I'll take one more if it comes along. I'm done buying woodware for the season though.... Went into spring with zero, going into summer with 8.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

0 to 8 (and caught with no suit yet) in what, 4 to 6 months?
    My hat is off to you sir!:hi:

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I was pacing along with ya at 7 though. I have since combined some of them...so I am at a strong 5.

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Picked up first nuc April 29. Averaging a new colony per week. I'm done now for a while, gotta get these through winter.

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I do have a jacket though, just didn't use it this morning.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Give them some 1 to 1 syrup and they will build up pretty quick. If you have any drawn comb it will be even faster.

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I haven't fed any of the swarms i got so far, I think we're getting to the end of the main nectar flow so i'll feed these.

10. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Found eggs and a nice, fat, golden queen this morning. :) I've got them separated from a laying worker hive with a spacer with screen on both sides. Hope the laying queen and open brood pheremone suppressed the laying workers. I think I'm going to replace the screened spacer in the next few days and cross my fingers.