Swarm 5-11-10

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, May 11, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Wife said there were a bunch of bees flying around on the porch. They were scout bees looking at some empty hives and frames. I went out and fixxed up a deep with some drawn comb and then decided to go look at a hive I knew was going to swarm. They were hanging in a gum tree about 10 feet up. I duct taped a five gallon bucket to a short pipe , worked good. Weather was a little crummy and they popped me about seven times on the arms, oh well that is just part of it!! Big enough swarm to cover eight frames solid, with six drawn combs in there I will need to check them in a week or so to see if they need more room.

I was going to do a split on this hive earlier but did not get to them since I had hurt my back a couple of weeks ago.

Looked in the hive that this swarm came out of and it is still packed full of bees, a deep and shallow, can'r really tell that a swarm came out of it.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Hey alright... well a swarm capture even from one of your own is better than not getting them. I'll bet right now you were glad to have a swarm call, even if it was from your own.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Take the wife out for a burger, just to say thanks.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I just found the pics, oh well at least something warm to look at on a cold snowy night!!

[attachment=1:31ax7lmq]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 397.jpg[/attachment:31ax7lmq]

[attachment=0:31ax7lmq]Sequayah cut out 7-6-10 404.jpg[/attachment:31ax7lmq]

Attached Files:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't you just love when a swarm is nice and "chunked" together like that? Not all spread out over branches with limbs and such in the way. Nice catch and thanks for posting, pics make me feel like I want a glass of lemonade and a lawnchair :mrgreen:

Perry

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Very Nice!

Not too much longer...