Swarm Above the Queen Excluder!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by HisPalette, Jun 8, 2012.

1. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

A swarm above the queen excluder, virgin queen and all!

P1010002.JPG
    When Steve yelled from the beeyard, I said that sure looks like a swarm! Look for a tiny virgin queen. She would be able to get through the excluder.

P1010006.JPG
    She is in there ... The are covering her up, caramel colored long skinny girl!

It happened at dusk today...I couldn't wait to post.
    We have the craziest beeyard!

We love it! Feel like we may have twins =D
    (If not we will combine back)...but neato!:yahoo:

http://hispalette.blogspot.com/2012/06/swarm-above-queen-excluder.html

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Watch out, you might get attacked for saying that. When I noticed that a queen or two had slipped through my excluders, I was told how stupid I was, basically, for using "the cheapest excluder" on the market and not studying it for obvious defects. I was told that it was the thorax that keeps the Q from passing through the QE, and the size of that doesn't ever change. It was suggested that any Q that could get through a QE was puny and inferior and not worth having. I'm sure yours will be a good quality LAYING queen, as mine ended up being.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""When I noticed that a queen or two had slipped through my excluders, I was told how stupid I was,""

Please reference the post. I think it may need admin's attention. We don't allow anyone to call anyone stupid on this forum.

4. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Oh, of course not, I didn't say it had anything to do with this board, but there are some pretty opinionated "oldtimers" around that don't always need any facts or evidence to fuss at people for having taboo thoughts.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It may just be the way it is received. I don't think any of our old timers are purposely unfriendly. Sometimes it's hard to translate feelings when no voice is heard. Try to read from a different perspective and see if it looks different. Remember, we are just run of the mill folks, not professional writers. Sentences don't always convey our feelings properly.

6. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Oh! Lordy! Yesterday, I was in this box thoroughly, through and through. No queen - only three very ready supersedure cells. I knew they would fight it out an only one be the victor. But this was a very slender young day old queen - did not get a single clear pic. I saw only other virgin queen earlier in the spring and they are smaller before they are mated. Instead of fighting it seems she slipped through...I moved her to a new box, just like with any other swarm.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

You know, I had an excluder on as an experiment this year. A good metal one from Brushy.

Yesterday I found a big fat queen above the exluder with brood of all ages. There was capped brood below the excluder. I'm thinking she went out the front door and in the top entrance. She was a beautiful queen so I stuck her in a nuc with a few frames of resources and will let the colony rear a new one. I didn't want to risk there being a queen downstairs and killing this golden beauty

8. beewitched

beewitched New Member

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not, but the hive and parts (including excluders ) we bought from Mann Lake. They recently sent us a letter with an attached slip saying they refunded all customers the price of the queen excluders they purchased early this year because of the inferior plastic. We haven't purchased any others yet, but I'm curious to see what will happen.

by dr. buzz;
    "Watch out, you might get attacked for saying that. When I noticed that a queen or two had slipped through my excluders, I was told how stupid I was, basically, for using "the cheapest excluder" on the market and not studying it for obvious defects."

by Iddee;
    "Please reference the post. I think it may need admin's attention. We don't allow anyone to call anyone stupid on this forum."

Iddee, I'm not good with drama in forums, so I have a tendency to look away or leave when I encounter it. However, I feel it would be wrong of me not to speak up of this one instance. I believe that dr. buzz may have been alluding to some of the replies to his posts in the thread titled Queen Excluders by reidi_tim. When this thread was active both my husband and I were reading it, and we were both deeply bothered by the way he was treated in some of the replies. He wasn't called stupid, but he was told or indirectly informed that his differing view wasn't tolerated by the berating tone of the replies including saying what he wrote sounded confused. I believe that he has as much experience as many here, definitely more than myself and differing views are "OK". To dismiss what happened isn't.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I can't condemn or condone if I don't know the story. Again, please reference the thread, and post numbers.

Dr. Buzz did reply with this.

""Oh, of course not, I didn't say it had anything to do with this board,"'

I can't do much about what happens on other boards.

10. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

You know what, I guess you are right. That was on this board. I don't go to Beesource much anymore for just that reason, so I thought it happened over there. But yeah, I remember that being a very.....weird response to my observations. And I realized that I was the new kid in the clubhouse because everybody made excuses for the guy doing the attacking and told me how I was misinterpreting everything, blah blah blah....I think the lesson I was supposed to learn was to never mention that I had ever heard of Michael Bush, but increasingly on this board I'm gathering that methods, techniques and even peer reviewed scientific journal articles can be openly dismissed if certain elderly beekeepers don't know anything about them. It's always the way with people, I guess. Sad, really.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, I read all the posts on the first page. Since you didn't post the reply numbers, I have to assume you meant Omie, Marbees, or Tecumseh. I'm guessing you didn't mean the uncomfortable feeling Dr. Buzz gave me when reading his posts.

If it were Tecumseh you were referring to, I have to direct you to replies #19 and 20. Some posters have never seen eye to eye, and Tecumseh and Micheal Bush happen to be a perfect example of that. The post had nothing to do with Dr. Buzz.

If you were referring to something on page 2 or later, please give reply numbers.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Dr. Buzz, read the above post and try to understand it. You definitely have misinterpreted some of those posts, and since than have shown an attitude that is not acceptable on this forum. Please try to see the other side and make your posts a bit friendlier. We want and appreciate your input to the forum, it is educational and enlightening, but the agitation we can do without.

13. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Back to the thread....:wave: Hello, it is me again! :lol: Just got in from a day with the bee club :club: Told my mentor :eek:ldtimer: :eek:ldtimer: guys about the little swarm and little queen..
    sometimes they are worth it and many times not....But...

Two queens in a box, is a nice little free surprise that may work or may not...
    But a far cry from a frame of eggs with a hope of a queen :confused: ...
    I love the enthusiasm.... and We have 2 queens! :queen::queen: :Dancing:
    in two boxes....this means we grow 4 hives to 5!

You are all amazing!!!!

14. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I also was told that it is possible to have two colonies in one hive with a queen excluder between the two. And they have been know to winter over well this way, But still, none the less... Each has her own hive, now.

15. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

And you continue to allow Tecumseh to snidely dismiss methods and techniques that he has either never heard of or has never experimented with himself, with zero facts, evidence or personal experience to back it up. More than a few senior members have privately contacted me and expressed concern over this situation regarding numerous threads and saying that they hope I'm not the next quality beekeeper that quits coming here because of him. Let me know when you have ever told him that he has "misinterpreted" something and needs to reign in his attitude. Otherwise, if I'm that unacceptable here, just say the word.

And to the OP, congrats on the swarm. You might want to consider letting both boxes build up, overwinter, gear up the egg laying in the Spring, and then a couple weeks before the flow, pull one (or both) queens and start a nuc (or two nucs if you pulled both queens) and newspaper combine both colonies. If you leave one queen in there, you have a queenright colony and a huge population to gather nectar. If you pull both queens and combine, you have a huge population with no brood to care for so all of their combined effort goes towards nectar gathering, comb building, and they won't swarm without a queen. You've probably been told that one colony of 80,000 bees, for example, will be more efficient and gather more nectar than two colonies of 40,000 bees. During the flow you can add a frame of capped brood from the nuc to the honey producer to keep the population up, and after flow you can just newspaper combine the nuc back to the donor hive.

16. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I'm kinda sick of the sniping from EVERYbody. Is this high school, or a bee forum? Can't we just talk about bees?

17. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Thanks DB, I actually did a similar manipulation this spring, half on purpose and half by accident, as an attempt at swarm maintenance. This time it was an inevitable supersedure of the bipolar hive that gave me fits 2 weeks ago, and I was happy to see it...knowing 3 queens could hatch, though, I was just super happy to see it swarm to the inner cover! and not have to chase this one down, at the old house up the road!
    And yes one big colony is much better than 2 little ones... My goal here is two big ones! :lol:

I really don't know what I am doing, I try to let the bees 'tell me'.
    I study a lot! Sit by the hives and observe, then take lots of pics and video. Review them, zoom in bee after bee for signs illness, compare month to month, behavior, colony strength. (It drives Steve crazy!! Says, 'How many times can you look at bee pics!!!')
    I have a very spiritual side,also... I listen to as well, but mostly....I go on my gut, with a pinch of experience, a pinch of what I read, and I ask a lot of questions...when I have several choices...I go back to my gut, and what I think the ladies are telling me...
    They are far beyond my comprehension for intelligence, anyway! Love my ladies....

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Dr. Buzz, I sent you a PM.

Hispalette, congrats. I hope they both winter well.