swarm at work

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, May 11, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got an email from a friend at work that said he was just outside and a swarm of bees flew right past him. I called security right away to contact me if they get calls about it. How far would a swarm fly? There isn't many trees as the campus here is surrounded by ag fields. I just so happen to have an empty nuc and bee jacket in my car!

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Really depends on wether they are coming or going as to how far they will travel. Most initial set up close by vacated location and once new local is determined all bets are off....not sure how much area they will cover.

At least you are prepared!!!

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm gonna take a walk. There isn't much wind so I should be able to hear them. All the ground south of the campus is row crops, if they aren't on campus all bets are off.

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

The last one I got was knee high on a laid over sapling and if I had not heard them would have never known they were there. I was actually on the property to do a trap out.

Good Luck!

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you know the direction they were headed you might get lucky. I am guessing that they are headed to where scouts have chosen a location. Usually the first landing for a swarm after it leaves the hive is close, and if there are not any hives handy, they are headed for their new chosen home.
    Best of luck, fingers crossed. :thumbsup:

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Found them! Very small swarm found 6' up on tree limb just 100' from the security gate. May only be 1.5 lbs. I'm just going to leave them in the nuc box with frames of foundation for now. Wish I had a big, strong hive that I could steal a frame of eggs and brood from.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336772211.007874.jpg

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congrats, you got 'em (and I was wrong :oops:) They must have come from somewhere, may be worth another walk around. :thumbsup:

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Good catch :thumbsup: