Swarm call last night (from a friend's beeyard)

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by pturley, Apr 30, 2012.

1. pturley

pturley New Member

A few weeks ago, a friend (and fellow Beek) took a job a couple hours away. He still keeps his bees at his parents house in Medina County. Last night, his parents had called to let him know that one of his hives was swarming and had clustered in a nearby pine tree. He wasn't able to come back home to collect these himself.

I got the call around 7:30, just after finishing playing in an adult league soccer game, just as I was walking off the field. Prior to that, I was tired (after playing nearly full-term, ~85 out of 90 minutes!) and a bit ticked off as we lost... but once I got the call, I was ready to go!

I have a swarm collecting box in my car including my jacket, gloves and a brush but I had to borrow a pair of sweatpants from a team-mate as I was only wearing shorts (No, I am not that bold with bees yet!).

The swarm was easy to collect. It was clustered head-high at the tip of small branch of the pine tree. I clipped away small twigs that didn't carry bees then cut the branch and lowered the cluster into the box, pine bough and all... Guessing by size, this was a bit over a 5 lbs swarm.

(Sorry, no pics... ...I need to add a small camera to my collecting gear in the car!)

As soon as I got home, I hived these in a nuc (again, in the dark!).

It was already 9:30 (fully dark) by the time I got home. As a result, again, I had very, very few flying bees.

I removed the pine bough from the box and set it on top of the frames spread out on our picnic table. I bumped the cardboard box around a few times to knock the bees down, then flipped it over into the nuc. A few additional raps on the bottom of the box, shake the rest of the bees off of the pine bough, add the frames and the swarm was hived. Add a quart of 1:1 and hopefully, they will call it home!

Hiving these went as smooth as can be with only a couple (literally only an handfull) of losses. You know an install is going well when you are transferring individual bees from the damp grass below back onto the landing board of the hive with your bare hands!

I'll need to build some 10 frame deeps, bottom boards and covers this week as I expect that both this swarm and the 3# package of bees hived a bit over a week ago will have the two nucs drawn out in no time!

I am now at three, soon to be four hives!

I still have the wild bees to remove from the fallen willow (parent colony to my last swarm).

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Sounds as if you made your own! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Great job! I just reached 4 hives today with the swarm I caught today. I have equipment on order to bring me up to 5 and a good start on 6. I didn't realize there would be this many opportunities for swarms. I will be bummed when I have reached my max and have to pass up those calls..

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

1. Sell a nuc

2. Sell a full hive.

3. Donate a hive as a scout or 4H project.

4. Give a newbee a hive and help them get started.

NEVER pass up a swarm call.

I started teaching Brandon0101 to do removals and trapouts this year, as I didn't want any more bees and am too old to keep with the removals. He wintered 3 and now has 22 or 23. I wintered 5 and now have14. :shock:

I've also sold a few and gave away a few.

5. pturley

pturley New Member

Blueblood,
    You don't have to miss any. Just get a sheet of plywood and make a bunch of these!

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/2011-Easy-5-frame-nuc-plans

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks pt...I subscribed to this thread a while ago but had forgotten about it...