Swarm call on patrol

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, Apr 30, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

A friend called and said there was a swarm on the side of a house near an alley in the city. They were coming from one of two holes on the stucco home which I believe is from two different hives . I went to the dollar store and put together a quick box out a tub and dish sink strainers real quick. I applied one swipe with a paint brush to knock them in the tub. A few fell off but it mainly angered a few of them. Well, I received my first sting as a new bee keep. I guess they didn't care for the dark uniform too much either, ha! The sting wasn't that bad as the venom going to work. Took some benadryl and zantac and within an hour the heat and pain mostly gone. You know your truly a lover of bees when your watching the poor brave creature dying on your arm than the pain:) . Going back after work with a little more protection and see if I can get them. I wonder if the aggression is asign to leave this swarm to itself? Or, maybe I just asked for that? I will post a conclusion this story this evening...
    mms_picture-4.jpg mms_picture-2.jpg mms_picture-1.jpg mms_picture.jpg mms_picture-3.jpg

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The above pics are from 0915am...buddy and I swung by and coaxed more in tub...the swarm had doubled..

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If the bees are coming out of a hole in the wall, it could be that they are not a swarm but rather overcrowded bees clustering on the outside of a too-restricted wall hive.:doh: If that is the case, you could well be asking for more stings. With their queen still inside, they will not be willing to take up residence in anything you offer them. If this is correct, the solution would be a trap-out (or a cut out if ther owner agrees to have you open the wall).

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I wondered about that too Ef....they have been there for a couple days..I'm gonna have to pass if there is a cut out involved w/that stucco wall. So, if I hive them without the queen ( I did see fanning in the swarm), will they simply leave?

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

We put them in a box and lefta small hole. A couple stuck their rear in the air and fanned at the entrance. Bees were going in.
    IMG_20120430_145008.jpg mms_picture-5.jpg

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Blueblood, hope you got them! :thumbsup: The ones lower to the ground look like a swarm to me, maybe from a hive that is in the wall. By the way, what's with the bare-armed-no-suit-swarm catching-in-your-first-coupla-weeks-as-a-keep thing goin on? :shock: You trying to make the rest of us look like wussies? :lol: You're settin the bar pretty high! :mrgreen:

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi Perry! Ha! Yes, I just thought to myself, no better time than the present. I got right in there. I did think to myself how you all must have smiled at me when I hived my first packages with the full armor on! My thoughts after the sting were that I was surely wearing my suit the next time I do that again. The under side of my forearm is a little sore. I did get them....they are in my car right now waiting for me to get things together...we have severe thunderstorms, strong wind and heavy rain right now...

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry, he was in his cop uniform. He expected them to obey him without question. :D

Good job, Blueblood.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't know what they carry down there, but if it was pointed at me, I'd get in the box too! :shock: :lol:
    When I drove Armoured truck on weekends all we were allowed were 38's. Don't know if that would even take out a windshield on a car! (plink, plink) :lol:

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Lol

Hint for future.... Bees HATE a brush. Iddee used one today and I got stung soon after.

Might have been better using your hands, just pull a set of a nitrile gloves on from your first aid kit

Iddee also told me he never uses a credit card, but I can beg to differ...... I watched him scrape a small swarm into a box with his credit card today........ No pics cause he was on top of a 25 ft chimney....

I have a pic of that part on my phone. :lol: Will upload soon.

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddee....ha! Perry, we carry .40 and .45 Glocks and all carry Ar-15's in the cruiser...

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeah Zu,,,I won't be using one of them again....they immediately rushed me...

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Been off-line for a while so the developments have sorta left me behind. I'm probably behind the present situatio but I'll hazard an opinion:
    A swarm tried to move into a wall that wasn't large enough to accommodate the whole family. Result---queen inside with a lot of bees stuck outside. If you can give them an empty hive with built combs, you might be able to get them to relocate if you do it before the queen inside gets too comfortable and starts laying there. Otherwise, a trap-out would be best.
    The sooner you set up for the catch, the more likely you are to succeed.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Ef..I am considering doing a trap on the lower part of the house but that area of town is sketchy and I don't want my equipment messed with. I left my brush by the swarm yesterday (dropped it when stung, ha!). I left for less than an hour and someone already assumed possession of it...

It was too dark and and raining much by the time I returned home. I supplied them some sugar and put them in the barn overnight while I quickly constructed a temporary top lid and solid bottom board. I am expecting more equipment today or tomorrow. I had to put some frames together also.

Woke up early this morning around 7 and headed out to the bee yard. It went pretty well. They didn't like the bumpy ride in the golf cart though. I put some syrup and a little pollen in there for them and closed it up. I had to place a piece of plex-glass on the top lid until I can find something to cover it or get my shipment of equipment. I found it cheaper and less time consuming to order the top lid and inner cover. I may go back to building screened bottom boards if the old style screen board from Kelley's which I ordered looked easier to build.

To the good stuff, pics. It was so foggy the kids had a two hour delay this morning. I have a picture of the fog taken from behind the hives. Check out the comb they started building in the the box overnight! Anybody seen them do that? There is a good one of a couple fanning....
    0501120723.jpg 0501120723a.jpg 0501120736.jpg 0501120736a.jpg 0501120743.jpg 0501120744a.jpg 0501120753c.jpg 0501120756.jpg 0501120757.jpg

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It was construction like that, but more, inside the wall that I feeared. I haad a minor brainstorm---if they didn't set up too much insie the wall, you might be able to smoke them out---give them a real smoking and they might give up, including the queen--and come out. I'd like to hear some additional opinions on this suggestion. But I still say, time is of the essence.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looking at the condition of the house, I would not want to smoke it. You may get more smoking than you planned for. I would use a bottle of fischer's bee quick if I thought it was a new swarm. It looks to me like you may have gotten a beard of queenless bees rather than a swarm. I would either add a frame of brood and eggs to them, or combine them with another hive. Their numbers are too small to make a strong hive fast.