swarm catch. Will this work?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by smokinbubba, May 3, 2011.

1. smokinbubba

smokinbubba New Member

A friend of mine told me that he has spotted a feral swarm in his backyard the past two years (in early may) but he did not realize what they were until I defined "swarm" to him! He just thought it was bees acting strangely.
    I am told that a new beek should stay away from a feral swarm but I just cannot let free bees get away! Here is my plan. Please let me know if any of my plan sounds unsound...
    I am going to order a cardboard nuc from a local supplier. I will place five new frames in the nuc with a little lure. Pharamones or lemon grass oil. I will then place the nuc in the tree that they have been swarming on the past two season. I will then monitor the trap until I catch the critters and insure that the queen in onboard. Then I will transport the nuc home and put it in a langstroth. I am hoping that this approach will work better than waiting for the swarm to be visibly seen and possibly missing the swarm alltogether.
    question... do I need to use frames with drawn comb or will new frames work? Also what lure should I use.
    I am a complete newbee but feel that this is well within my capabilities. Thanks for your help, Bubba

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Yes your plan will work. its best to ues 1 or 2 drawn comb if you have them. Jim

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why cardboard and transfer? Why not just place the Langstroth in the tree?

Yes, the drawn will work much better. The older and blacker the comb is, the better it will work. Lemongrass oil makes a very good lure. Just put a few drops of it on a cotton ball and place in hive.

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

I don't recommend cardboard nucs to anyone. They melt if they get to wet. And sometimes you won't realize they have melted until you go to pick it up. (which isn't a handy thing to happen if you do have a swarm inside)

I have some corrigated plastic nuc boxes that are fairly amazing though. https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=1110 they even velcro shut for easy transport. They don't cost significantly more.

5. smokinbubba

smokinbubba New Member

Idee, I thought about hanging a complete lang but the weight of a complete hive is more than I want to work with. Thanks for the lemon grass tip. I will definitly make this my lure.
    charmd2, thanks for the link. I will look into the plastic and stay away from the cardboard!

6. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

No problem. That's what we are around for.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A ten frame will catch more swarms than a five frame box. Attach two straps to it and throw a rope across a limb. Hoist it up. Bring it down the same way.

8. wadehump

wadehump New Member

YOU BETTER GET IT UP QUICK I caught 1 today the forcast for next week is looking better they will start to go pretty good then

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

whoever told you that a new beek should stay away from a feral swarm doesn't know what they are talking about. Nothing better than good hybrid genetics for good vigorous bees.

10. smokinbubba

smokinbubba New Member

Idee, OK I am convinced. Should I use a med or deep or does it matter?

I currently have 5 deeps, 2med, and a dozen shallows to work with. I just need to order some frames and lure.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

DEEP. Research has shown a swarm prefers approx. that amount of space.

12. wadehump

wadehump New Member

2 more today it's on rain in the forcast for the next seven days then sun look out then