swarm cell ??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by kbenz, Apr 14, 2011.

1. kbenz

kbenz New Member

I have 2 TBH's that I am planning to switch to langs. was going out to do one today, but could not find the queen so I closed them back up. What I did find were lots of bees, lots of drones and several capped swarm cells in each. cells were on the bottoms and sides of the comb. both had lots of capped brood and larvae not sure bout eggs.(can't see them). have not been in these hives in 2 weeks. I added empty frames between brood then.

should I go ahead and switch them to the langs and hope I get the queen before they swarm? or do ya think they already swarmed?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you are switching the whole hive, and not just splitting, then go ahead with the switch. You will have moved her when the tbh is empty.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

snip...
    have not been in these hives in 2 weeks. I added empty frames between brood then.

tecumseh:
    it would be interesting to know what empty frames means? I don't know much about tbh so fill me in here. the next question would be the relationship of the cells to the empty frames?

4. kbenz

kbenz New Member

sorry, I meant empty bars. the cells were not next to any of the empty bars( which had half built comb on them)

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so where in the hive were the cells distributed?

the two weeks that you first spoke of just makes me wonder if there was not something in the manipulation that encouraged the building of the cells???